PDA

View Full Version : Panicking Mum help......... (please help identify picture)



linnyloo
18-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Skip just went outside and ate 1 maybe 2 leaves off a bush in the garden.

He has never paid it any attention before and never eaten it before, now i am worried as to weather he will be ok?

I don't know what kind of bush it is??

Please help, what are the symptoms of poisoning? He ate it about 20 mins ago now I'm freaking out!!

.::.whiterabbit.::.
18-06-2005, 08:26 PM
if theres no signs he is poisoned im sure skip will be fine :D

Charliesangel
18-06-2005, 08:35 PM
I'm not very eduated on bunny poison...but just to be safe I would check with a vet. Symptoms of some poisons dont show for days, you if I were you I would rather be safe than sorry!

Tamsin
18-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Can you take a photo of the bush? Perhaps one of us can regonise it?

Keep a close eye that he continues to eat/poop.

Tam

linnyloo
18-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Good idea will do it now..........

linnyloo
18-06-2005, 08:57 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/linnyloo/NewPics021.jpg

Any ideas?

Charliesangel
18-06-2005, 08:59 PM
Did you plant the bush or was it there when you moved in? Sometimes if the plant was there when you moved in, they will give you papers with the types of all of the trees and bushes on your property.Just a suggestion...
I have no clue on what kind it might be, hopefully somebody who knows will take a peak at the topic soon!

linnyloo
18-06-2005, 09:10 PM
It was here when i moved in but have no recored of what it is (i only moved here recently so i remember)

Another pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/linnyloo/Skip16518.jpg

I will keep an eye on him but i don't know what the symptoms are or how quick it can happen.
I'm sure he will be fine but I have this illness which means I panic and stress all the time about everything :? :cry: :|

Jaypot
18-06-2005, 09:15 PM
I can't be sure but it looks like some kind of lavendar bush :? Does it stay there all year round or does it die off in the winter?

I would think by looking at it that it is not going to be harmful to Skip - if it was only a couple of leaves then he should be alright. You have to remember that with most plants the buns have to eat an awful lot of them to become ill - except for one or two houseplants (mine are all ditched as I can't stand the worry).

We have loads of different bushes in the garden and they take a nibble here and there - if the plant dies off in the winter then that is usually good as it means it is sort of deciduous like a tree :D

Skip will be fine - it's you we are all worrying about now :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Denny
18-06-2005, 09:23 PM
looks like a pieris (sp) to me :? does it leaves change its colour with the seasons :?:

linnyloo
18-06-2005, 09:23 PM
In the autumn it has pink flowers and doesn't die during winter months just stays as it is now.

Forget i said anything I'm not feeling too well right now and am just making things worse for myself by worrying that something bad will happen to Skip.

Denny
18-06-2005, 09:28 PM
just had a look a pieris but dont think it is that now :? could be a very large weed, :?

hope your feeling better soon, try not to worry :)

linnyloo
18-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Thanks sorry if i sounded short :oops:

I just found a picture of it in the snow and it is just twigs so i think it may die in the winter.

Sorry to have bothered everyone.

Tamsin
18-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Hiya,

We've just been through the books and it looks like Willow Herb which is non poisonous :D

Tam

mini lop1
18-06-2005, 09:47 PM
does it get purple flowers if it does its a hebe

lisa

linnyloo
18-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks Tasmin for going through your books, I'm afraid my fingers aren't very green!!

Ideally I would love to dig up the whole garden and start again, planting rabbit friendly things then i wouldn't have to worry :D

Skip hates runs and when put in one will sit there for hours not moving or eating just moping :shock: so i let him have the run of the garden with me out there too. I try to keep him occupied so he doesn't eat the plants just the grass as I don't know what plants are in my garden (apart from the roses!) but i think I shouldn't have let him out before dinner as he decided the world was his oyster!!!

Jaypot
18-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Aww Natalie - you are right to worry about things but you can't help it if you panic - we all do that :D
All buns will nibble on the plants and things - it's natural - but the main thing is, they *usually* stay away from the bad ones after having a nibble or three :D
One day you will be able to have a bunnyproof garden but like us, you will be worried when he goes out. My lot are horrors for eating stuff outside and I can't tell a rose from a daffodil :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

.::.whiterabbit.::.
19-06-2005, 12:05 AM
we have loads of that in our garden and i reme,ber feeding it to my younger brother as a dare when i was 11 and he is still alive and our dogs always munch on it and they are fine so i dont think its poisonious

Jazzy B Bunny
19-06-2005, 09:13 AM
Jazz tried to eat something like that in my garden :shock: he ate 1 pink flower and a leaf, i will post pics of it soon. :?

luvabun
19-06-2005, 09:29 AM
I also verge on paranoia with this as mine are free range when exercising also. I definitely get rid of the ivy that creeps in from next door :shock: and although I've planted up a huge pot with carrots so they can nibble carrot tops to their hearts content, I ocassionally find them eating dried leaves :roll: :roll: If I catch them eating anything I say no and shoo them away... I let them eat the carrot tops whenever... hopefully they will soon get the message :wink:

Rallybunny
19-06-2005, 12:51 PM
I panic when I catch Evo eating a tiny leaf that's stuck to the doormat, so I know where you're coming from. :oops: I am very paranoid....if I have been using weedkiller in the garden, I take all my clothes of in the porch, just in case I transfer it to Evo somehow. :oops:
He once ate a leaf from a "dracaena" (sp?) houseplant and was very very poorly, even had to have a tube down his throat to clear the gas from his tummy, as the vet couldn't get rid of it any other way. He took about a week to recover. He never took any interest in the plant before, but once snuck into the living room when o/h was on the phone (he wasn't allowed in unsupervised, but the door was left ajar).
If I'm worried he's eaten anything bad (plant / doormat / anything :roll: ) I usually send him back to his cage with a big handful of fresh yummy hay to eat, to try and "dilute" whatever he's eaten.