• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cleaning an incission

Hey all!

8 days ago Aspen was spayed. She began eating and drinking on her own within about 18 hours of her return home. Her incission; however, seems a little "messy" nothing to bad, knid of scabby. Can/should I clean it with hydrogen peroxide and then put neosporin (anti-bacterial gel) on it?

Thank you!

post subject

I don`t think hydrogen proxide would be a good idea, but vets and myself use hibiscrub which you can buy from the vets.

H/prox is far to strong to put on an inssision.

My Beebie was spayed yesterday and so far doing well.

Any advise anyone on how long to keep her seperated from her male snipped brother??

They are in runs next to each other and seperate hutches at night, don`t like to see them apart, but i`m out all day tomorrow and back at work monday so can`t monitor them.

But bracken doesn`y mount her or anything.

cheers

It should be okay just to leave it as it is. Problems arise if your bun has actually started nibbling at it. When we hoomans wounds start to heal, they get itchy, so she's possibly having a wee go at it. If you start to apply things to it, the scab will tightenand it will only encourage her to lick at it. Just check it every day and make sure there's no fresh scabbing, if there is, take her to the vet.

If it doesn't look weepy or have any pus coming from it, leave well alone. It is normal for it to be scabby as long as it is nice and dry. If you try bathing it you will probably draw her attention to the site and risk introducing bacteria. You ar always best wherever there are stitches etc not to bath as the stitches act as a route for infection to travel down.

Back