• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Extremely Urgent!!!

leginuoh

New Kit
This evening, my friend and I found a small rabbit sitting on the side of the sidewalk. At first i thought it was dead, for two reasons. It was still when we walked by it, and its fur looked as if it were ripped off going across his back. We got a little closer and he ran, but we felt sorry for it so we took it home where it is now sitting in a big box filled with guinea pig litter... now can someone tell me if there ever is a natural case where a rabbits fur would be all gone on a certain part of its body, exposing red skin underneath? It looks horrible, as if its body was ripped in half, but in reality its just the fur... also can someone tell me if the fur will grow back? what can I do to improve the living conditions of this odd rabbit, btw, the fur that looks as if it was ripped is dangling off to one side... almost as if it were a misplaced tail... please help...

This poor bunny needs to see a vet urgently, as well as being in pain it will be in shock. My advice is to keep it in a quiet dark place and take it to a vet as soon as possible. Is it a wild bun or a pet one?

Yep I ditto the lovely Bunnyhugger here - please get this little bunny veterinary attention urgently as it definately sounds as though this little bunny needs Vet assessment for possible injuries.

Sound's like an injury i lost a rabbit to once. Take her to the vets as the others said but be prepared for the worst :cry: If it's what i think it is( All the skin has been pulled back off the muscel) Then there is a very risky(and expensive) operation, or it will have to be put to sleep :cry: I hope the poor bunny pulls through, good luck!!

I too ditto everything said - poor little mite - it must be in such pain and shock :cry: Please let us know how bunny gets on :(

:(

okay well you guys said to tell you how the lil bunny got on, shortly after i posted this topic i went back to check on the rabbit, and it was dead...didn't even give me anytime to go to a vet... its now the next day and I've buried it. Going back to asess its injuries, it was probably as Frejay said, it seems as if the skin had been pulled off the muscle, i didn't think of it then, the red color underneath was not skin but muscle... I found it off on a sidewalk ( wild bunny) so it is possible that the skin was ripped off by a lawnmower or something, although probably more likely an animal due to the way the skin was ripped off its side too... I think this little encouter is making me want to get a rabbit of my own, i've never noticed how wonderful they are...

Ah, the poor wee bun :( What a shame :( Still, that was an extensive injury and it really didn't stand much of a chance. Rabbits are very complicated little creatures and not the 'best designed' animal. However, they are wonderful and intelligent and beautiful too, and sure to give loads of laughter and of course heartbreak when they finally leave us.

You couldn't have come to a better forum to do a little research into the world of rabbits, there's loads of information here for you to make all the preparations and decisions prior to getting a bun, I wish I had known about places like this when I got my first buns all those years ago! If I were you, I'd first find a vet who is rabbit-savvy, they're hard to find but a blessing to have, then it'll be the hard choice of which bun to adopt! Maybe you'll settle for a bonded pair from a rescue centre :wink:

Anyway, thanks for letting us know about the wild bun, I've been thinking about it since you posted, it's just a shame it was a sad ending.

~ Binky free wee bunny, there's no danger where you are now. Take our love to the spirit buns ~

bunnyhuggger said:
Ah, the poor wee bun :( What a shame :( Still, that was an extensive injury and it really didn't stand much of a chance. Rabbits are very complicated little creatures and not the 'best designed' animal. However, they are wonderful and intelligent and beautiful too, and sure to give loads of laughter and of course heartbreak when they finally leave us.

You couldn't have come to a better forum to do a little research into the world of rabbits, there's loads of information here for you to make all the preparations and decisions prior to getting a bun, I wish I had known about places like this when I got my first buns all those years ago! If I were you, I'd first find a vet who is rabbit-savvy, they're hard to find but a blessing to have, then it'll be the hard choice of which bun to adopt! Maybe you'll settle for a bonded pair from a rescue centre :wink:

Anyway, thanks for letting us know about the wild bun, I've been thinking about it since you posted, it's just a shame it was a sad ending.

~ Binky free wee bunny, there's no danger where you are now. Take our love to the spirit buns ~

bunny hugger your great with words aint ya!
this forum is the greatest one ive been on and after a while you think of the people on here not just people your chatting to on internet but really good mates!

Back