• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FOP Rabbit Joe cage?

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
sorry everyone, yet more questions! :D

im still not fully ecided on the bunny situation yet, but would like to be prepared just incase i do decide to get the little fella :wink:

i have been looking around for cages, and came across this one on surrey pet supplies:
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Orpington_Rabbit_Cages.html

it seems quite big from the measurements, not too much smaller then the large dog crates length and width ways, although the dog crates are definately taller.

i was just wondering if anyone had one of these cages, and if so what are they like? are they easy to clean? easy access?(looks that way!) is it big enough for 1-2 buns? how easy is it to put together? can another level be added?

Thanks in advance!

hi

:) I spent months making decisions till I took the plunge and got my 2 bunnies - it's a big responsability and it's good you're trying to get it right!

With the above cage I'd say it's way too small for even a small rabbit - I got the Tommy 120 recently from this website - only £55 and the delivery was excellent:
http://www.b-js.co.uk/acatalog/Marchioro_Rabbit___guinea_Pig_Cages.html

It's 4'x2' and I would say just big enough for one rabbit, but OK if it has a run attached or free range of a room for several hours morning and evening...I bought it as a cage for emergencies or holidays - my 2 live in a huge shed and love it.

The problem with these cages is that the doors have to be jumped over by the rabbit when open, whereas a crate just has a side opening door they can walk through easily - I wish I'd bought a 4' crate now and put a big underbed storage type box in it for a litter tray for easy cleaning. They are the same price if you get a crate from Prizepets....You could always put a piece of wood onto the door of the Marchioro cage, to make a ramp though.

Ryo_the_rat said:
i was just wondering if anyone had one of these cages, and if so what are they like? are they easy to clean? easy access?(looks that way!) is it big enough for 1-2 buns? how easy is it to put together? can another level be added?

Thanks in advance!

Hiya!

From haveing one of those cages a long time ago, I have found that these cages are a bit of a nightmare to clean and a bit time consuming (my bun is in a dog crate) and I would definitly say that it would not be big enough for two buns! The dog crates are very easy to clean and very spacious! :D

the big problem with bought cages is the height, I never think they look big enough for a bunny to stand up if it wants to.

I am planning to get a dog crate, and Cobey is in a home made cage made of storage cubes tied together with cable ties.

Here is a piccy of his cage at the moment:
DSC00287.jpg

and him in it:
DSC00303.jpg

I have found...weird but true, the bigger the cage the easier to clean!!!

Talking from someone who is involved with rehoming bunnies and guinea pigs the 4 foot hutches which are sold as rabbit hutches are really not big enough for a single rabbit to live in unless it used as a 'shelter' and they have free range. We suggest something like the 4 foot x 16 inches Orpington sold by surrey pets as suitable for 2 guinea pigs only and not for rabbits. As a rescue we use 48 inches by 24 inches in a double storey for all our rabbits apart from the big ones, they all get time out in a large enclosed area as well each day.

For indoor use we certainly recomend either puppy pens, dog crates or even some of the lovely penned off areas many people on this forum have created using the cube systems you can purchase. The indoor cages with a drop down door can be difficult for buns to exit particuarly when they get older and less agile or are small buns as they are prone to get claws / feet caught in the door.

thanks for all your replies everyone! and the great advice.

i have been looking out for those storage cubes for ages, and havnt came across any yet :?

i think if i do get the little guy, i shall invest in the 48inch dog crate i have seen on e-bay. just wondered-has anyone used corroplast/correx to make a deeper base for their dog crates? thought it might be an idea to avoid the litter/bedding getting all over the floor!

thanks again everyone!

I use these cages and find them quite good , I have a 5' x 2 1/2 ' by 18" tall with a 3 1/2' x 2' roof extension, its easy to clean and the rabbits can stand on their back legs if they want too!

04-05016.jpg

Oh just noticed it was specifically the rabbit Joe cage you were talking about, thats tiny!!! :shock:

I think the benefit of the crates is the extra height so you can add an extra level and also get you head in to chat to a nevous bun or lift ut a bun.

Tam

My hamster lives in a cage masuring 50 cm wide, 100 cm long and 50 cm tall and it is just the right size for such an active little creature, and that rabbit cage isn't much bigger, so I agree with touie, thats tiny. :shock:

I would try a dog crate if i were you. :wink:

Back