• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Preparation of shed

toria

Warren Scout
Hello, I recently introduced myself in the introductions section. I am planning on getting one or two rabbits for my shed I have especially bought. The thing is I would be very happy for any suggestions on how I could set up the shed, for eg - housing inside for sleeping etc... should I get a hutch? What do you think? ANd flooring, should I have lino? I'm not sure how many rabbits or what breed I am getting yet, which I know doesn't help but I am not fussed until I see the 'ones' I'll know.
Thanks... :)

I'd be intersested in anyone's suggestions too! I've just erected a shed in the garden taken the window out and put wire there instead to get some air circulating, and now I'm not sure what to do next!!! :?

I have three buns in one shed, we just put wire meshing accross to keep them in their half, put on a lid as they can jump very high. we put a cat flap type thing on the side so they can go outside into the run whenever they like :D Except for night time they get locked up at 11pm to many hungry foxes about :roll:

I haven't got a hutch in my shed but some people do put one in, its up to you really,

100_6452.jpg

Yes I'd thought about having a catflap into a run. I was wondering how to set up the run though!!! I have a 5" x 4" run that has an opening top but no base! What would be the best way to secure it to the shed? Would I need to put a bottom on it as well?

My hubby just attached the run to the shed with wood and screws, the base depends on if you raabits are diggers? mine arent but they are on patio slabs, just so they can have access all year round, as last year with all the rain we had in the summer their run turned into a mud bath :shock: We just make sure we pick them hand fulls a grass daily :D

Lorna at Greenfields Rescue in Braknell advocate the use of a shed to make up 'bunny cabins', they have some information on their site about ideas for setting up a shed. http://www.greenfieldsrescue.co.uk/diycabins.asp

If you ever visit them they have some like the one in the picture and others which have hutches in them and others which have a hinged drop down shelf.

Janice

Hiya Toria

Awwww a bunny shed eh - something tells me you might be filling this quite quickly :lol: :lol:

Not much help on the shed side of things as mine are free range house bunnies but I know there are lots of great designs on here for ideas.

One thing to watch out for is overall positioning of your shed though - if you able to find a nice shady spot in your garden as with this heat Sheds quickly overheat and can become unbearable for bunnies.

Good luck with the Bunny Shed operation :wink:

Thanks, my run would be on raised patio slabs so no chance of digging there!!! and drainage is good. It would be easier if I didnt have to worry about a base!!! Thats a really good link, I wouldn't have thought of meshing the door!!!

touie said:
Thanks, my run would be on raised patio slabs so no chance of digging there!!! and drainage is good. It would be easier if I didnt have to worry about a base!!!

I don't think you will need a base then, as long as it securely fastened to the shed :D

Back