• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grooming

katokym

Warren Scout
Hi there, was wondering if anyone could help.
i am having a bit trouble in grooming my 2 rabbits. They were 6 months old when i rescued them and have never been brushed at all. I have tried a couple of time but they get very stressed. Does any one have any ideas how i can get them brushed without them getting too stressed. :rabbit2:

I totally cheat on this one and do it with my more struggly buns while they are eating. I pop them up onto a high surface on a towel, level with my chest so I don't have to bend over, it also makes them struggle less especially if it is unfamiliar. Pop their favourite treat down and groom away, alternating with "plucking" when the moult is heavy.

I prefer to do this outside otherwise my whole house fills with fur ;)!

I find a cat moulting brush with hooked wire works well to remove moulting fur followed by a soft bristlebrush to tidy up.

Also helps if I get hubby to do nose rubs so I have two hands free to groom.

Caz

katokym said:
Hi there, was wondering if anyone could help.
i am having a bit trouble in grooming my 2 rabbits. They were 6 months old when i rescued them and have never been brushed at all. I have tried a couple of time but they get very stressed. Does any one have any ideas how i can get them brushed without them getting too stressed. :rabbit2:

Do they like to be stroked??

Because if so you can use a grooming mitt to brush them??? It's very soft and to them won't feel like grooming!

I let mine play with the brush first before I used it on them.
They were less intimidated by it when I cam to use it on them.
In fact Harry will lie their all day while you do him and will glare at you when you stop 8)

Back