• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Now Lilly is at the vets! :(

Vianne

Warren Scout
Hi everyone!

I took Lilly to the vets yesterday morning because she had a very small sty on one of her eyes. The vet checked her teeth and said that she had spurs on her back molars and so would need to have them worn down.

She had an anaesthetic yesterday to get this done, and has come round fine from it.

They kept her in last night because I couldn't pick her up at the time they wanted because I had to go to work.

I rang this morning to see when I could pick her up and they're keeping her in because she hasn't done any poo's.

Apparently shes eaten, but just not poo'd, so does this mean shes got gut statis??? The vet is apparently giving her injection's to try and stimulate gut movement. I hope this doesn't turn out like Jasper - I couldn't cope with losing another bunny within 2 weeks!!

What do you all think??

Hi, Vianne, don't worry anaesthic can have this effect on buns and at least your Vet is being cautious and doing their best by Lilly, let us know how you get on.
Kay

Oh vianne try not to worry the vet will do the right thing for her XXX Big Hugs and were all here XX

Hi Vianne, I got your text, sorry I couldnt reply, my battery went flat then I was at the hopital for 2 hours. How is Lilly now? xxx

Hello, thanks for the kind words everyone,

Well I've got lilly home and shes all strange, the vets were worried because all she would eat was dandelion leaves!!! Have got her home on the grass - which usually she loves and I've been trying to play with her and feed her grass and leaves etc which she usually loves but shes just not interested :?

Normally shes straight out of her run into the garden but it took her 15 mins today to get out cos she was all weary and then after a little hop around she was straight back in the run in a corner.

The vet has given me probiotic for her water and if shes not eating still by in the morning then i have to take her straight back. :?

How are things with you kerri?? Everything ok I hope??

Hope she feels better soon. She's probably just feeling a little funny because of the anaesthetic. She's all confused 'cos she feels like she's been to a party and can't remember it!!
Sending big hugs.

Hi Vianne

Blimey Gal your ready going through it just lately! - hows the lovely Lilly today, fingers and paws crossed she's feeling better :?:

Hello guys,

Well I went and bought lilly some very very sweet smelling hay - the wagg one from asda!! She really seems to like it!!

Shes been muching on a few spring greens, has eaten a carrot and some broccolli!

Shes not eating much of her science selective but cought her having a few nibbles last night.

Shes not eating as much as I'd like her to, but it's enough - at least shes eating hay.

I'm taking her to see a lionhead bun in need of a home today. To be honest I think shes very very lonely and if I get her a friend it will cheer her up a bit.

Wyill keep you updated!

Hi all, just thought I'd update you!! Lilly is back to herself (phew!!), and we rescued a bunny from pretty terrible conditions and hes completely adorable. (looks a bit like Jay's beloved Tilly-Mint who she has just lost). Hes a white lionhead with a few grey smudges and a complete sweetheart.

Unfortunately Lilly has rejected him and goes for him (very aggresively). We are going to Bunny Burrows today after speaking to Gwen and she advised she would rehome this little angel (he will be snapped up in no time) and Lilly could pick her own friend, as she has 7 males in that have just been neutered.

I am going to report the woman we rescued the lionhead from to the rspca, I am literally shocked at the living conditions. There were so many flies swarming around it was just awful. The stench of urine HIT you as soon as you opened the back gate, the bottles were green with algae, they were all in TINY hutches with no room to lift their heads, the concrete floor of the run had not been disinfected EVER, she had them living with about 15 smelly pigeons, and the sun was beating on them with no shelter at all - We were completely disgusted and just wanted to get this bunny out of there as soon as possible.

She even came out with a comment "I would never take the baby rabbits to a pet-shop, those places are just cruel and you never know who will end up with them" (surely someone with a kinder heart than you, love!!) "and I'd rather take them to go and get put to sleep". How can she justify that its cruel to take them to a petshop, but then not think its cruel to get a litter of bouncing babies to get put to sleep!!?

The only good word I have to say about her is that the bunnies living in the shed (with the pigeons) did seem to be bright eyed and healthy looking, but they had no natural light and no windows, just a door which she shut (in that heat!!) when she was showing us the male lionhead!

I will let you know what the rspca say - not sure if they get back to you about whether or not the woman will get presecuted or not??

So at least one good thing has come out of it, that Vianne rescued a lovely little boy who will now be going to a lovely new home, and hopefull we'll come back with news of a new pal for Lilly. :D

Awwww Well done on the rescue of this wee man - you just carn't believe how folks can do this can you - I hope the RSPCA do something to act on this - did I hear someone say were supposed to be a careing humane society :( :( - Flying Pigs come to mind :roll:

Sorry the matchup with Lilly didn't go to plan but at least this little bunny is in safe hands now and Lilly can take her pick from the batchelor pad :D :D :D

Gosh that is awful, glad lilly is ok and well done for saving the little boy and reporting her XXX

Hello again, Vianne will probably be along to tell you, but we went to Bunny Burrows today, and Lilly also rejected another male!!! Vianne's heart has melted over the lionhead she rescued (I can so see why!!) and she has agreed to try for the next 2 weeks to bond him with Lilly, and if it doesnt work, to then take him to Gwen's where she will try to bond them for her and if all else fails - she will then decide enough is enough and Lilly can decide on another male.

If it doesnt work with Lilly, I am SO tempted to try him with Poppy - but I just cant at the moment - too much going on and struggling a bit money wise at the moment!! :roll:

We'll keep you updated and I'll try to get Vianne to put some piccies up of him - he's such a cuddly bunny and LOVES people - Ive melted over him too - its hard not to!! :D

Bonding!

Yes! As Kerri has explained I am attempting to bond these two. He is absolutley gorgeous and deep down I don't want to give him up, poor little thing.

He's spent his life being fed on that rabbit mix rubbish, and I'm tring to wean him onto excel because apparently he got fed that too, but hes just not eating it. I am a bit worried also because hes eaten a few spring greens and a bit of apple, not hay or anything. He did eat some grass yesterday, I need to fatten him up because he is very thin.

Has anyone got any tips of what I could maybe get him to eat??

Back