• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

what is this???poo pic added if u are squemish dont look!

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
this is what hagrid gets immediately after having something that is not pellets or hay! this was after some rolled oats, it only seems to last for a little while hourish but i dont know what it is, the poo is hard but has this brown liquid around it!

any ideas please?

whatamess.jpg

Picture002.jpg

eve x

I would def say diarrhea, like Phill's Mum thinks! He obv has a very sensitive tummy. Perhaps some probiotics if he isn't already on it? The vet may want to take a faeces sample to check if there are any problems. I'd stick to the pellet and hay diet for now, his digestive system obv can't cope with anything else. Is there any blood in the Di?

How old is he again?

Nicola

nicolar said:
I would def say diarrhea, like Phill's Mum thinks! He obv has a very sensitive tummy. Perhaps some probiotics if he isn't already on it? The vet may want to take a faeces sample to check if there are any problems. I'd stick to the pellet and hay diet for now, his digestive system obv can't cope with anything else. Is there any blood in the Di?

How old is he again?

Nicola

but the droppings are hard it just has a brown liquid around them! he is 16 weeks old (giant)

eve x

I'd still say that was Di coming out as he could have some hard droppings and some Di. This is what I see in dogs at work when they are ill, some normal + some Di. I'd keep his diet very plain and perhaps get a faeces sample to the vet.

Nicola

It could be urine...just discoloured because it's been in touch with the faeces. How is the bun, otherwise? Well in himself? If not, a visit to the vets might be worthwhile...

Athena got that for a while I think it was after eating the plaster from the walls. When we had the building works she started leaving this funny brown liquid all over the place it dripped out ther bum and there were little puddles everywhere but she was doing normal poos too.

The vet couldn't find anything wrong with her so I just blocked up all the plaster areas and about the same time I started adding probiotic to the water for Zeus so she got that too. I also decreased the pellets and increased the hay around the same time too (for Zeus).

I don't know why it stopped it may have been all or none of the above things that helped but after a month of it on and off she hasn't had it in ages!

Caz

caz it happens when you give him anything other than pellets and hay! even oats! i think i am gonna get constant probs with this bunny

eve x

I would consider insurance if I were you ;)!

I never found out what caused Athena's problem so at least you have a clue. Looks like he is going to be on a very strict diet, what is he like on grass, does the same thing happen?

Caz

Poor you this is a difficult one!! I agree like the others that he seems intolerant to something, keep on with his hay to prevent GI Stasis like someone mentioned....you really don't want things to get clogged up. I agree about taking a sample to a vet, maybe there is some ingredient his body just rejects and they can find out what it is? :?:

Caz said:
I would consider insurance if I were you ;)!

I never found out what caused Athena's problem so at least you have a clue. Looks like he is going to be on a very strict diet, what is he like on grass, does the same thing happen?

Caz

:cry: :cry: :cry: yep!

Irritable bowel syndrome !

if ur bun has a sensitive tummy 2 certain things it cud b I.B.S (irritable bowel syndrome) its the only condition i can think of where u get both constipated n diarhea never heard of it in buns though ?? i think its worth looking in2 though x

Back