• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

10 of my babies have now died

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Right you can all shout at me if you wish. Holly died at 1.30 pm today my mum took her to the vet for a PM The vet suspects VHD or piosening then at 2.30 Toffee died. Our vet has asked us to take Toffee to the local Vet lab for a PM to find out excactly what it is. The other 20 remaining buns are at risk. I am very upset and kicking myself for not getting the buns vaccinated they were due for VHD jags at the end of August.

Goodbye Toffee and Holly i love you XXXXXX

OMG is there some prevenative steps you take to limit the damage. Does diinfecting everything help. Soz if I'm not helping, I'm just worried for you.

Phill I am so very sorry - I wouldn't shout at you for the world - you must be devastated :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I can also say that I have been there - we lost one and it was not known for ten days if it was VHD - we had the lot vaccinated the day that we lost Florence as the vet said that some would stand a chance if they got it done then. Thankfully it wasn't VHD but it made our world stand still and we where just so very shocked.
If you can, could the vet come out and VHD them all today? This would at least save some of them IF it is that.
Have you thought that it could be something draining off from the farmers fields? Has the farmer done anything recently to the fields?
Have you or any of the locals seen any dead buns around?
Phill, I truly hope that you don't lose any more - I am keeping everything crossed for you. I wish I could help.
Run free little bunnies, run in the eternal sunshine - xxxxx

oh my gosh phill, I'm so sorry! We're sending tons of (((hugs)))) and love...
We'll keep all fingers and paws crossed for your other buns!

OMG Im so sorry to hear this Phill, you must be going out of your mind with worry, wish there was something I could do, big hugs to you, your mum and your buns x x x

OMG Phill... :cry: :cry: What must you be going through you poor thing :cry: :cry:

Big hugs to you and the rest of your buns :( I hope they are ok...

Toffe... you know you were my favourite, binky free beautiful bunny :(

and binky free Holly, look after each other xxxx

Thinking of You Phil xxxxx

Thanks Guys there is apsolutly nothing i can do. because VHD is a virus nothing kills it. The vet is coming tommorow to vaccinate the remainder she has said that if it is VHD that will at least save anything that hasn't already contacted it. She doesn't have enough vaccine in to do all 20 and she can only give the 7 babies a mild dose, if they survive they have to be done again in three weeks.
If it's piosoning then we don't know where it's come from. the field behind the house is owned by our next door naighbours and they keep horses in it and hav'nt sprayed anything.
My dad found a dead baby wild bun at the front of the house when my mum found Holly he look that to the Vet lab as well and they were really shocked that my vet thought it was VHD as they said they have never seen a case in dumfries.

I am so upset and all i can do is sit and wait.

Thank you for your support and for npt shouting at me XXXXXX

Love and hugs Phill and the Buns XX

OMG Phill, our heart goes out to you, you must be deeplyu upset and concerned for your other bunnies too :(
We were in this exact same position about seven years ago when not much was known about VHD and few bunnies were vaccinated. Our were not given VHD vaccine but after a new bunny arrived and died within 24 hours of entering the Sanctuary, we were suspicious and got a PM done.
This was inconclusive, but did not really matter anyway, as the Vet came out the same day teh bunny died (based on the symptoms of her death) and vaccinated the lot as an emergency.
This is your only chance if VHD is amongst your stock, but it has to be done immediately in an outbreak, not after test results come back. Any sudden death in an apparently healthy bunny is suspicious, two dying within such a short space of time is even more concerning.
You also need to avoid contact with the bunnies and have strict hygiene between them, as this helps with keeping the disease being spread to some extent.
It could also be another type of bug or poisoning, but sounds suspiciously like VHD.
VHD only has a short incubation period, so after the last death a 72 hour gap with no further bunnies showing symptoms usually puts you in the clear.
It is a good idea to sterilise the area, any surface that the bunnies touch every day for the next five to eradicate any disease on site.
Your Vet can always phone the Ministry for advice to help you protect your other bunnies, and it is a notifiable disease.

if there is anything at all we can do, you know you only have to ask.
Sending you all our love, and hugs, keeping positive for you, that the other bunnies will be fine.
Please keep us posted.
XXXX
Ps sorry Phill my posting was submitted at the same time as yours :roll: and you have already got the vet coming out to vaccinate the bunnies.
PM me if you need a chat as I understand exactly what you are going through having been there ourselves.
No one has a right to shout at you, you are not to blame for this, and you are acting now to safeguard the other bunnies, that is what is important.
We are behind you all the way...and have everything crossed for you :wink:

Really sorry to hear that Phil - devastating news,

hope you hear something soon that will at least put your mind at rest with the other buns,

take care - thoughts are with you

Martin + Pam

Thank you Adele, the vet can't get anymore vaccine until tommorow but she did say that some buns have more natural immunity than others she has a friend who had 25 rabbits and they got VHD but she only lost half her Warren.

I will keep you all posted.

The buns have been quatrentined into sterile kennels and out of there runs which there not happy about but it has to be done.

On no Phil I can't believe it, not two more! :cry: :cry:
You must be out of your mind with worry. Please keep us updated and fingers, paws and everything else crossed this end.

hi phil this is terrible i feel for you i really do.
i just wondered if you could clear something up for me that i dont understand. you said the buns were due at the end of august, is this when you arranged to get them done or was this for the booster jab?

Eve x

OH my Gosh!!! My heart goes out to you! I hope all the other bunnies are fine and nothing more happens! Could another vet vaccinate the remaining ones as your vet can only do 7?

Back