• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnies Lump came back

kayj

Wise Old Thumper
My bun had an abcess removed 2 weeks ago it was on his hind Leg any way on Sunday I noticed there was another appeared just above where the other one was. It was removed on Monday. I am a bit concerned because he seems to have gone quite aggressive towards me, he boxes me, bites me and snathes everything off me. He wasn't like this after his first abcess removal, I am due to see my Vet tomorrow with him just wondered if anybody had any ideas.

I'm worried because a few years ago I had a baby bun that her personality changed literally over night and it was a tumour, she would attack me to a fine tune I had to weare two fleece jackets and leather gauntlets to cuddle her and feed her, my oh had to prise her mouth open a few times to get her off my arms (she would literally swing off my under arm.

Wound is healing great, my vet had noticed that he seemed to be moor aggressive to. We have agreed to wait and see how he goes but he could could quite possibly keep getting these abcesses and we both don't want to keep giving him anaesthic every two weeks as this is also a risk to him.

Is the vet leaving them open once he has cut it out and cleaned the area? I have read that leaving them open and cleaning them everyday helps them to heal and may stop them coming back as if you seal the wound there may still be some bacteria left inside.

Also is he on oral antibiotics after the op?

Or you could ask about implanting antibiotic impregnated beads into the area. This has been effective in some jaw abcess cases as it releases antibiotic slowly into the site of infection for a long time and may prevent the bacteria multiplying into a full blown abcess again.

Caz

He's been on antibotics for the past 2weeks and two week previous to the first op. The wound had been left open and I clean it twice a day. Its just a shame as this is probably why he was abandoned in the first place, his previous owners hav probably thought that it was going to cost them money.

Back