• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training

chibichan

Young Bun
We jusr got a rabbit about a week ago and decided it was about time to start litter training. We observed which corner she used and put a litter box in there. She was real good for a couple of days but now she poops right outside her box. She uses her box sometimes but likes to lie in it as if she thinks it's her house. What should I do about this. I've put her droppings back in the box when she goes outside to show where they should go but is this only going to teach her that i will clean it up for her. I need suggestions about how to potty train my bunny. Every website i go to says i just have to put the box in a corner and that's that. Thanks for any advice!

How is the litter tray set up?

With mine I found they prefer a large box they can lie down in, with a covering of compressed pellet cat litter on the bottom and hay on the top. Because they like to nibble while they poo it encourages them to use one spot to poo (as long as you don't have hay elsewhere).

Some people have also tried feeding them their pellets in the tray too.

Is she peeing in the box? Mine used to be really good and do everything in the box but now they live next to the other rabbits they pee by the divider and poos are all over the place. Because it is a territory thing you may find if you don't try to go into her territory she will be less inclined to scatter her poos around to mark the area.

If you need to clean it out you have to distract her into another area then clean it out so she doesn't see. Put food and water near the front so you don't have to encroach too much to re-fill these.

When ever she does droppings outside the box you need to pick them up in front of her and put them in the box so she sees otherwise she won't get the hint. If you see her raising her tail to pee outside the box pick her up quick and put her in the box. Any accidents should be mopped up with tissue and the tissue put in the box.

This is the best resource and probably where most of the tips I just gave came from as it was very useful in training mine: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/litter.html

Caz

Thanks a lot. The litter box is a trianglar shapes box that fits in the corner. But it basically takes up both corners on that side of the cage because it is large. We're in the process of getting her a bigger cage at the moment. We bought bunny litter from the store and put that in and she likes to lay in it most of the time. She does pee in the box no problem but she has decided to use 2 corners to poop in. What should I do about this? thanks for any advice!

Back