• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grrr!

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
LOL tried Jazz on science selective and he took one bite and kicked the rest out off his bowl :? how annoying, seems the only thing he will eat is russel rabbit which my vet said not to feed him :roll: any other food ideas?

hi

Hi

How old is he? if he is an adult it can be hard to get them to change, however I did that with one of mine, it was so import because of her tummy prob that she have Super rabbit Excel that I know it sounds bad but 2 days she went and then ate it as she couldnt have anything else, obvious I gave her hay so she didnt exactly starve.

My 9 months now on Rabbit excel. thankfully he was young enough to adapt. Have you tried mixing quantities of the food he likes now with the food he is supposed to have and gradulayy phase the old one out of 7 days or so? that way its gradual and not such a shock..

Good luck I know it can be hard

lisa

I'm having the same problem with my little bun who is addicted to russell rabbit (mainly the orange flakes I've noticed, the rest seems to end up on the floor! ) she is nearly 10 weeks old now. Though I have found that if I let her into one of the other rabbits cages she will quite happily eat their science selective, but won't touch it if it's in her bowl! :? :shock:

Hmmm I dont know :roll: im mixing science selective with supeper rabbit excel (dwarf and junior) together and see the feed back I get from Jazz LOL :lol:

hi

Hi again

I would be cruel to be kind, id dig your heels in, our pets have a really good habit of training their owners :lol: I havent had a rabbit yet that has let itself starve, Its still young so you have a good chance of turning its preferences...

Keep at it, it could be worth it, ive done it so many times with bunnies..

Sweety

I only got success on my second time of trying with Squishie. She was quite young the first time I tried her (4 months) and just picked out the bunny brunch but I tried again and managed to swap her over to Burgess Junior and dwarf.

Take it slow to change it over, mix a very little in at first and dont give in! As Sweety says be a little tough and dont give in.

I have changed mine over twice and they are over 2yrs old now. This time they were reluctant as they love science selective pellets. I hand fed them some of the new pellets to begin with and tried giving them some of hte new pellets before topping up with their original ones. They ate them and now empty their bowl every time.

I had the same problem with Poppy, she had grown up with a mix and the rescue centre had tried to turn her but they only had her for a week or two before I got her. She had a sticky bottom problem so I really wanted to improve her diet.

What a stubborn little so and so!!! :roll: :lol: ........ It took me a full month of reducing the mix and increasing the Science Selective before she gave in. I put the SS in first and for the first month she would just sniff the bowl and then look at me saying, "Ok where is the real food" :roll: so I added decreasing amounts of mix.

I honestly thought that she would never give in ......... but in the end it seemed to be almost overnight!!!!! :wink: ........ she suddenly decided that it was the best food ever ....she seems to love it now :roll: ......rabbits!! :roll: :roll:

P.S. She is 3 years old ... so you can teach an old bun new tricks!! :lol: :lol:

My boys were on Russel Rabbit when i got them and as they seemed to like it I kept them on it for a while, but then they started to be selective about the bits they eat, so I went on to burgess pellets, two of them took to it straight away but Panzy refused to eat it picking out all the bits of russel rabbit, i tried for weeks and weeks the vet said stop offering him russel rabbit all togther but he still stuck it out and would not touch it, so I gave in. Now heres the weird thing when I bonded them all he decided to eat what the other two were eating :roll: talk about fussy :lol: so all five buns are now on a mix of excel dwarf mixed with excel light as thats higher in fiber. :D

hi there

Hi

Yes they will often eat whats in the bowl if they are in groups, its a normal instict pychological thing, its a herd thing, the pack leader does one thing, they all copy.

In fact It works with kids also, if you have a poor eater, you put that child with a group who stuff themselevs,lol.. and 9 times out of 10 that fussy child starts to eat, I reckon its simular with animals..

When I worked at the vets, I went to a conference years ago when they were promoting a new food.

They said that they took a group of cats/dogs that refused to eat anything but certain flavours of foods, so off they went with NO OWNER for 1 week..

They all ate what was put in front of them because it wasnt their owners..hehehehe..

So you see animals do bribe and con their owners into what they want to eat and not what we want them to eat :lol:

It was an amazing conference, and lets face it, in the wild , animlas would eat 1 flavour..

Lisa

Crumbs he hasent eaten anything exept hay (and grass) since yesterday surely this cant be healthy :? oh well im going to leave it and see the results in a few days :shock:

It's ok, he'll be fine on hay ....... lots of people on this forum only feed hay and veg and have very happy, healthy buns.

I think Adele is one of them, and if I'm not mistaken she has around 35 buns who thrive on this diet.

There is more than one way to healthly feed your buns ..... just hope I haven't opened up the hay/pellets debate again :wink:

hi

Hi Again

Hay and grass is fine, dont panic, keep at it, you will need to see if this bunny is realy a stubbern little fluffy face, lol, bless its little heart, they can be very stubbern..It can have a kncok on effect though, he maybe filling up too much on it to want to eat the food..its getting the right thing going.

lisa

Hi, is he making any progress? I had this problem with my piggy, when I got him from a rescue he was on Gerty Guinea, it has taken me AGES to wean him onto Pets at home pellets and he can still throw a strop and only eat his hay and veg sometimes :lol:

dont give up just yuet keep trying i had no probs with my buns going from bunny brunch to burgess as they r pigs :lol: they do however love the burgess

lisa

Well its been 5 days of the burgess food being out there :shock: ( i change it every day) and he still wont eat it :( im not sure wheather to just go back to russel rabbit :?

have you weaned him off it????

just mix the foods up for a little while (at first with a small amont of the new food then slightly more then all of it be the new food) if not thats why. hope bun bun eats soon!

Back