• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help!, im at my wits end

neet

Young Bun
I need a little bit of advice, we have flopsy a 20 mnth old lionhead spayed female, and have just aquired a 16 week old French lop( I think that’s what he is), hes quite big tho, just a little smaller than flopsy, we introduced them the first night and all he did was mount her, so after about 10 mins we seperated them, since then we have put their runs next to each other, they sniff and looks like lick each others noses thru the bars, we tried them again tonight, in a neutral place, all he could do was mount her again, she just tries to walk away and drags him around still attatched to her back, he even tried her head, am I wrong in worrying too much, is it ok as long as they don’t fight?, am I separating them too early?, should I have him “done” would that calm him down a bit.
Sorry bout all the questions, u have probably heard them all before, could someone help me, I don’t want flopsy to get hurt.

ok i will get him to the vets, he will be able to tell me if he's "dropped", im lucky if he'll let me pick him up, if i do he scampers onto my shoulder and would jump if he could, hes very fiesty and we have only had him 2 weeks, we sit with him everyday, tryin to bond with him, hes got to the stage of a quick sniff then runs away, its a lot different than my other bun, but i guess they will all be different. i just hope they do make friends with each other, id hate to think im putting them both thru an ordeal.

That sounds very positive though. Zeus did that alot to Athena when they were bonding - it didn't matter which end!

It will calm down once they sort out who is boss but if he remains intact then he will probably keep doing it to some extent and this may stress her out.

For an easier pairing I would get him done then when his stitches have healed try again. He will still mount until the hormones go (may be up to 2 months post-op) but it will be greatly reduced. With Zeus he had been done about three weeks when he met Athena and once she established she was to be boss he stopped mounting her. With Cosmos he jumped the fence the day after the op to mount Violet but she decided to let him be boss so he kept doing it for a week then just stopped.

If it is mainly mounting and a bit of fur pulling it should be a relatively easy bond. You will need to let them go at it for a bit so they can establish dominance but if your girly is obviously stressed (hunched up, breathing fast, shaking) then she needs to be removed and allowed to calm down before trying again.

Caz

thanx caz thats really helpful, i have phoned the vets and they wont do it till the bun is over 4 mnths old, i was told he was 16 weeks 2 weeks ago but i am gonna leave it a couple of weeks just to make sure, then im gonna get him done, see how they get on after that.

Neet, you can always take him in, as age does not necessarily mean he is not old enough. My rabbit was neutered at 4 months, my vet did say originally that he couldn't be done before 5 months, but upon feeling his er janglies, they realised they were obvious enough to operate! :lol:

sorry ive just got back to you, i am ringing the vets tomorrow to get harry in, will let you know how it goes,i was a bit worried about takin him as he's very timid, wont let me pick him up, but i guess the vet will help hold him,we sit in his run tryin to get him aquainted to us, im sure he will eventually, but to get him bonded with flopsy we have to get him done.
on a good note, they are really friendly thru the run bars, the bunny shed is gettin on great, im hoping they will be bonded by the time its ready :D

Just to keep you all updated harry has been in the vets today to be catstrated, I've just rang them up and hes ok for me to go and fetch him, do i keep him indoors, (in a small cage) or do i let him into the hutch outside which is bigger?, Im not gonna let him into the run just yet as its very wet outside on the lawn after the storms last night, am i doin right?

neet said:
Just to keep you all updated harry has been in the vets today to be catstrated, I've just rang them up and hes ok for me to go and fetch him, do i keep him indoors, (in a small cage) or do i let him into the hutch outside which is bigger?, Im not gonna let him into the run just yet as its very wet outside on the lawn after the storms last night, am i doin right?

If he is anything like my guys he won't notice. The day after Cosmos was done he scaled a 3ft fence to get to his girly (luckily she was done) and opened the wound in the process :roll: . I would keep his cage/hutch very clean and let him rest for a day but then after that he will probably want out. Just keep an eye to make sure he doesn't open the wounds and check them daily.

Caz

Back