• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nasty shock

Jeremy

Wise Old Thumper
Although having a booster a few days ago for her legs, Mishka hasn't seemed her self for a few days. Her legs are playing her up more than normal, and her back end is becoming soiled because she can't clean herself.

We have been worried sick about flystrike, so we have been bathing and drying her bum and legs each day to keep them clean, and putting vaseline on her legs where they were becoming raw due to urine scolds.

Today we did this a bit earlier than normal as we were waiting for tea, and tried so sort out her fur where it had matted together. We'd been doing this for a good 20 mins, and removing fur which had fallen out, but matted with good fur, when Caroline suddenly discovered a maggot! :shock: :( :( :(

Of course this threw us into a panic and we started delving even faster trying to find any others, or any wound where they might be. After another 10 mins, we had found no more, but where understandably concerned, so we rang the vet.

He fitted us in as an emergency, but didn't think there were any more. The upshot is that Mishka is now staying overnight at the vets, and will have her back end shaved tomorrow under sedative.

The stupid thing is, we asked whether is would be better to shave her when we were there a few days ago, but our normal vet wasn't there. The replacement guy said no, as it was difficult not to nick the folds of skin. :(

So there we go. We are really worried about the poor girl, especially as we signed a consent for GA is the need arose. We're not sure she is strong enough to take a full GA. :(
We're also worried about the state of her legs and whether we are doing the right thing letting her carry on struggling. :cry:

Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see what happens tomorrow. At least she is in good hands now, and if she is sedated, maybe the vet will take a good look at her and advise.

aawww sorry to hear Mishka is not doing too well. Hope there are no more maggots.. at least you found it before it developed into flystrike. Let us know how she does tomorrow.. i'll be thinking of her

AWW Im so sorry to hear this, thank god you caught it early enough - I hate flies. Send her a big hug from me. xxx

Good on you for getting her in to the vets!!!!! I would have been in bits. I hope all goes well with everything and keep us posted.

Im sure she'll be fine once she has been shaved. The vet may sell you some rearguard which prevents flystrike (sorry if you know that already) Let us know how you get on x

taylor v 109 said:
as well as the bathing, once ur bun is dry are u using a fly repelant?. You can get it at ur vets. val

Yes, we use fly repellant on her back, and we also spray her favourite places to lie. We have been using Rearguard for the past few days, but obviously the effectiveness of this is compromised because we are having to bath her back end. :(

Thats interesting because we rearguard on our bun however someone else on the forum said their bunny got flystrike even though they used it. Maybe i need to look at other remedies. Good luck with your bun x

Rearguard doesn't stop the flies laying eggs or them hatching into maggots. It inhibits their growth so they don't develop enough to do any damage. So although your rabbit may appear to get the first stages of flystrike the rearguard stops it developing further or atleast slows it down long enough for you to find the problem and take action.

Tam

Oh poor baby - I know that fear too well when Zeus was soiling himself I was washing and checking him every day too!

I hope she is alright and that the other rabbits don't laugh at her when she comes back with her shaved bottom like a baboon's ;) it sounds as if you caught it in time.

Caz

Oh Jeremy/Caroline my heart sank when I read your post - sorry I was out last night so didn't catch up on this until now :!:

Your doing a brilliant job with her and she couldn't be in better hands than with you two and the lovely Flump and Sparkle. Hopefully sounds like there was only the one rogue maggot and although you take every care you can sometimes these things happen even when your the most resiliant of bunny mum and dad.

As you said it will be good if they can shave her and then it will make things easier for you and more comfortable for Mishka.

I'm keeping fingers and paws crossed she's o.k - keep us posted when you can.

We were just laughing at ther photo the other day, putting her feet up. She's such a lovely bunny, we're thinking of her and sending lots of bunny hugs

Mishka is back home. :)

There is good news and bad news. :(

The good news is that she has been shaved ok, and doesn't look as bald as we were expecting. We have ointment to apply twice daily to help her urine scolds. We also have anti-biotics. This is due to the following.

Apparently they have noticed some blood in her urine, and she also passed some strange white "paste" in her poo which the vet was at a loss to identify. We have never noticed anything like this in the shed, but maybe it has only just come on :?.

They also noticed she was eating and drinking LOTS. We had already noticed the drinking ourselves.

He did blood tests which all came back perfectly normal so they are a bit stumped, but the vet suspects she has a tumour :(
This is not entirely a shock as we have noticed her tummy getting quite large, even though her top end is still relatively skinny, and just a general deteriation in her well being over the past few weeks.

We think the vet was trying to prepare us for the fact that he thinks she would be better put to sleep, although he has not mentioned this as such yet. Given her lack of interest in life the last couple of days we would possibly consider this.
HOWEVER. Since she has been home she has been hopping all over the garden and stuffing her face full of grass and leaves. This is the most animated she has been for several days, so at the moment we would not consider it.

Basically it's just a waiting game (again!) to see how she goes over the next few days. The vet wants to see her again in 48 hours. :?

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. It means a lot.

:( :( Oh Jeremy and Caroline - I'm sorta relieved and gutted at the same time - blimey you two have been soooo brilliant with Mishka given the Roller Coaster ride recently with her health.

Are they likely to do any kind of scan to confirm its definately a Tumour or is she too weak to under go much investigation :?: - You know her well and I know how compasionate you both are so you'll know when she tells you she's had enough - little monkey is obviously on form tonight though by sounds of things and really glad to be back with the gang by the sounds of things.

We'll all be rootin for the lovely Mishka and sending you and Caroline a hug at this difficult time - hang on in there both.

Thinking of you both and the lovely Mishka - sends a snuggle.

Back