• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Poo

TripleD

Warren Scout
Just a quick question,

I've had my bunny now for just over a week (Wooo hoooo)
Just got a small concern about him pooing! He seems to poo exactly where he lays the majority of the time. So he's always layin in it.

It's a bit of a pain to clean up as he squashes it into the floor (am considering tiling the hutch to make it easier).

Is this okay? Or should I be doing something?!

what sort of poo's are they? soft grape-like poos or dry balls?
rabbits usually choose a corner to poop in so maybe he hasnt decided quite where to poo yet. Does he have a litter tray? If so you could try moving his poos into it to encourage him to go there. Although some rabbits will still lay in their litter tray but at least its easier to clean out.

Well they are mostly hard balls, but there are occasional softer ones aswell.
He hasn't got a litter tray, was kinda waiting to see where he ends up going then try and put a tray there later!

ah ok.. Maybe try the litter tray then and see if he uses it. Make sure u put some soiled litter into the tray to encourage him at first.

Just a point that ou shouldnt tile the hutch, I heard on here that someone else did that thinking it would be better to clean but their bun got a nail trappe din the crack between and ripped it out.. ouch!

Try a big off-cut of lino, is what we have x

Doesn't the wee run down the back and underneath the lino, and cause the wood to rot?

The rabbit rescue that I got sparky from had all the floors of the hutches tiled, thats where I go the idea from!

This not a good idea then, don't want to hurt my bun??

Ive not known it to run, but guess it depends how level ur floor is? You can put something under the lino too tp protect whatever is under tho

or you could use a plastic mat £2.99 from Morrisons and fit it to curve up the walls as well so that the wee cant get under it. They are a bit thinner than Lino and easier to mould!

I think putting tiles down may be a good idea only if you use waterproof grout to seal it and make sure there aren't gaps for their nails to get stuck in.

Back