• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which rabbits are nicest you think?

jennee

Young Bun
Which breed of rabbits would you say has the nicest temperament?
(Or do they all just have differant temperments regardless of breed?)

Bambi is a mini-lop and I thought mini-lops were cuddly and nice from past experience, but she's quite the opposite. I think she hates me :cry:

oh! and btw, are dark, bright orange wees a bad sign?

I adore all rabbits but do really love Dutch and Nethies - can't help it, they have something that I can't resisit :D I am a complete sucker for any bun with something wrong with them or bits missing :shock: :lol: :lol:

Red wee is nothing to worry about - it will be buns diet that has caused this - rabbits wee can go from pale to bright red sometimes - if she has been eating carrot or dandies from the garden then it will go darker. As long as she seems healthy, is eating, drinking, pooping and peeing alright then I wouldn't worry :D

i as allways told lops are docile but i have one thats a git! well he is to other rabbits anyway!

i have lops of mixed breeds and they tend to be fiesty, i have a nz who is quite miserable to actually!!! my giants are very friendly but have had them since babies and they are house buns which makes a difference!!!

i generall believe it is the wy they are handled and how much contact they get with their owner that determines how they are gonna be within reason!

eve

All rabbbits could have a sweet gentle personality, or they could be more on the non-social side. Is your bun spayed/neutered? A lot of the times this can help temperment and your bunny might become very cuddly!! I have a soft spot for hollands, mini lops, nethys, and flemish giants. But all bunnies make my heart melt, and it doesn't really matter on the breed.

I really try hard with Bambi. She's a difficult one. I never raised my voice at her unless I was trying to catch her to put her back in her hutch from her run and I tripped and fell :roll: but more a yell at myself for falling really. I try to just sit for some time and pet her nicely but she always seem more scared and tolerating it rather than enjoying it like my little nethy Bonnie.

I hope one day I will earn her trust. But sometimes I feel like giving up because she's so cold to me! ex: sitting with her back to me after I just gave her food and she finished gobbling it down, when I was just just sitting and watching. Rejection has it's limits little bunny!

*sigh*

I wish there were bunny training like for dogs :eek:

most rabbits are good tempered its the person that raises them that can change them, of course the more u handle the better they will be. does i think are harder because when mature they do tend to get hormonal. bucks are always better tempered. The best breed i think is the dwarf lops u carnt beat them. The mini lop is a good tempered breed but are more active than the dwarfs so are more indipendant.

Mitsy and Coco are uppy eared mixed breeds.

Mitsy is the momma bun and very affectionate but only when in the right mood, othertimes shes a madam and a half.

Coco is extremely timid even tho since the day she was born iv been handling her and only ever super nice to her, she just runs away all the time, more recently she'll let me nose rub her tho

Tyke is Mitsy's son too and he is a lop (bizaarly) and totaly different, he is fussy and loves cuddles and attention all the time, very strange!

Hi,

The bigger the better is my feeling!

Billy is my first French Lop and I did a lot of research and the general feeling is that they are the most placid.

The most unfriendly bunnies i've had are Netherland Dwarfs and I've got
the scars to prove it. I once had one hanging off my finger, boy did it hurt :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will now wait for all the N Dwarf defenders to sign on and prove me wrong :lol: :lol:

Maureen

I would guess Mr. Billy is a French Lop? :lol:
And as a matter of fact my netherland has a nicer disposition than my minilop at least *whew*

I like my own cross breed bunnies the best, but I would love to one day own a purebred Rex, a Netherland Dwarf (I have a nethieX) and a Giant of some variety.

My smoochiest bunny is the one who I've spent the most time with, she is a cross, but I think she might be a Rex X, hard to tell though but her body and facial structure looks a bit like some Rex i've met, but who knows, I found her on the street in front of my sons kindy! :lol:

My naughtiest bun would have to be Blacky, the Nethie X, he went through a stage of attacking me everytime I went to open his cage, and I have a big scar on my right hand where his top and bottom teeth grabbed and shook me! :shock: :evil:

But, since forcing lots of affection onto him (whilst protecting myself with piece of cardboard :lol: ) he has calmed down heaps, and isn't nasty anymore, although I don't trust him!
He will probably chill alot more after his desexing next week.

Apart from that, I adore my Smudge (girl in av) who I think might be a NZ cross, as her mother was very large, and looked like she had some Giant in her... :lol:

I've heard that Rex rabbits can be rather fiesty and a bit more bitey, but I still want to get one. :wink:

Ciara :rabbit2:

I like lops with their big droopy ears. Also dutches with long legs and pointy ears. I love the miss marked dutches with odd splodges. Umm and helocoptered eared buns cos they are sooo cute. I like lionheads , dutches, lops (in various sizes). After fostering Dolce I'm quite taken with Angoras too. I haven't really had the chance to get to know a rex but I wouldn't mind one day. The only breed I wouldn't go looking for is probably a nethie cos they're so tiny and I'm not sure thats for me, although again I haven't really been properly introduced to one so I'd be quite happy to have my mind changed :D Err so thats one of everything or a good old heinz.

Tam

ciara said:
I've heard that Rex rabbits can be rather fiesty and a bit more bitey, but I still want to get one. :wink:

Hm.. I tried to quote (1st time :shock: hope it comes out right)

I did some reading and most sites say that mini rexs are really nice and make a great first pet.. aside from being super soft. I think my next bunny, if I might get another, will be a minirex. 8)

But on the other hand, I thought that the dwarf genes made them more aggressive and on one site it says mini rexs were crossed with netherlands?? :?: Interesting..

:) Mini rexes are adorable, aren't they!

In Australia we don't have alot of mini-rexes, I think they are still developing the breed here, so I have never met a mini Rex.

I've heard from one breeder, and from something on t.v (yep, probably unreliable sources :lol: ) that the Rex rabbits can be a bit more bitey, or nippy.

That said though, I guess any rabbit can be bitey, if not handled properly. :?:
The sweetest rabbit Ive ever seen was a chocolate coloured Rex buck, that was owned by a little boy. The boy was carrying it around like a baby at a local rabbit show, and the bun was completely placid.

I've also heard that Nethies can be a bit flighty and nippier than some other breeds...

Regardless, I love all types of bunnies and would own one of every variety if I had the space and time, and of course won the lottery. :lol:

Id say standed blue rexes like my claude :)
He is such a loving boy and likes licking you he is very clever and very sweet
I think one of mine maybe a mini rex shes very cheeky and naughty!

I'm with Maureen on this one, defineltey all my French lops have been real softies and super friendly. My netherland dwarfs aren't friendly, but they are not aggressive, just don't like being handled. But my lionhead and my lionhead lop are super aggressive and I normally get biten everytime I feed them! Of my 7 dwarf lops, 4 are really friendly, 2 are kind of friendly they like to be stroked but on their terms, although never bite and 1 is really skittish but not aggressive at all.

I have found rexes to be super smart and I have one who is cuddly and one who is flighty but the boy Cosmos is always getting into trouble.

I have a giant and he is very layed back and wouldn't hurt a fly, never bitten me and totally chilled but we had him from a baby.

I also have a highly aggresive dwarf lop and although she has calmed down she is a fighter.

I think that you can stereotype to some extent but generally each bunny is an individual and it very much depends on nurture as well as nature.

Caz

i have mini rex and think they r super, as already said they r smart and once they have worked something out there no stopping them lol :lol: like finding sweets and running off with them so then u have to chase after them they r very inqusitive and like to be in every ones bussiness, iv found that most of them r cuddy but not as lyed back and cuddy as some lops and giants they r active but will sometimes sit for a cuddle iv found they they can be sypothetic like if ur upset, this is when they r most cuddly, but also cheer u up as they can be very funny at times, alot of mine choose when to be cuddled cause if there runing around and ur sitting down they will jump onto ur lap for nose around and some attencion. But like with every breed u can get agessive one i have one but she is hormonal as she isnt spayed but i dont think she means to be nasty she will growl and pounce but never means to bit, because once she is by u, u can cuddle her and is totally relaxed when u give she a scratch on the head i think she is just terratorial. i think rex and mini rex make g8 pets it just depends on how u handle them.
oh, ye mini rex were created for nethis origanally, to get the mini version of a rex nethies were put into the breed to bring down the size, a nethie buck is ma8ed to a rex doe and in the litter u find the smallest and m8 bk to the rex doe then this starts to create more of a rex coat sometimes nethies r put bk in to keep the size down if they started to get a bit big, but today i know some who still used nethies if they find there mini rexes getting to big. Now i never had a nethis but iv found some to be sooooo cute a friendly i know some can be nasty but u will always find a nasty one in every breed.

becky

We had a nethie when I was younger and boy was she mean :evil: :evil: :shock:

Sophie is a dwarf lop and is the softest and most docile bunny that I have ever met!!!! :love: She is very good natured and is VERY loving! :D She is also very clever too! :)

Back