• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is it mean?

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
to only keep 1 bun? i mean jazz seems fine he gets all my attention! i was wondering if he could spend his life alone, i would like to get another bun but im not allowed :( how many other people only have 1 bun?? :)

We've had many debates about Squidgy, and getting him a girlfriend. People ask, why's he in the house and the others are outside ( he's a toothless nethie dwarf, the others are big, tough bunsters!), and then we feel guilty. Squidgy is defnitely a house rabbit though, and we've decided that he's happy on his own. We're always in the room he lives in, my partner works from home, so he's rarely on his own.
So, I don't think it's mean - like you say he gets all your attention!

My bunny lives happily alone, as do many bunnies.
The key is ensuring they get plenty human contact, and it sounds like yours does.

Simba was a single house rabbit for about 18months and did plenty of binkies etc to show how happy he was!

I only got two because I couldn't decide which one I wanted in the pet shop! I was originally only allowed one, but my boyf liked both of them too, so that worked!

As long as your bun gets plenty of attention, he will be fine!

Hi,

My bun is a single bun as I refuse to trust any vets to neuter him. He seems happy and to be honest understands almost everything I say, as it has been me and him since he was 6 weeks old.

He is like a dog now and will come when called, walk outside with me, stay still for cuddles for at least 1/2 hour!! and generally is an attention seeker like me :)
The only problem is he never likes to go into his cage and will rattle the door until I feel so guily I let him out again! :lol:

Just so long as your bunny gets all your attention then he will be fine and never know any difference. :D

I had to get Oli because Sylvia began to show signs of obvious loneliness, esp at night. If your bunny is not showing signs of loneliness, then I don't think you need to worry. b-m

Well I have three buns but they are all kept singly as they are all does and don't get on :( (unfortunately). They all seem very happy + get lots of time out in the garden - they do get to see other buns though so I guess this is slightly different. I've had Pippa on her own all her life and she is a very happy bun, she actually prefers her own company. It really does depend on the individual - I would like to get Amy a friend as she seems to like other buns but unfortunately I'm not allowed as I live with my parents and I have reached my bunny max!!!

I didn't 'choose' to have three does - Amy was unwanted by a friend of mine so I took her in and Princess was a foster from work as she has/had cancer. I would ideally have liked a male but these things never go quite the way you would like! But I wouldn't swap my girlies for anything :)

I'd go with your gut instinct, some buns are happy on their own and some love company. Perhaps you could try your bun out at a local rescue and see how it goes if you are lookin for another?

Nicola

I only have the one, and he seems happy enough. Getting another (two) buns is the peoples choice, not the rabbits choice. :)

Howdie Folks

Zac's a single boy and seems really happy and contented. He has loads of fuss just seems generally happy and chilled. I may still have him neutered at some stage in the future if I lost one of the girlies Cagney or Buffs but at the moment he's just dandy as a happy solo bunn who gets loads of love from his mum and dad.

I think a bunny that lives in the house can be OK but I really don't think garden rabbits should live alone.

How much time do we really spend with our rabbits. Do we work/go to school? That's a pretty long time to be alone. What about when we go to bed? They are alone then. If they had a companion they would have company at the times we aren't able to be with them. They are not an animal that evolved to live alone.

When I look out at my row of hutches the lone rabbits tend to just sit, they only 'come to life' when I go out to see them. Does your rabbit just sit waiting for you when you're not there? The one's with a friend tend to be much busier, licking each other, investigating what their mate is doing etc.

I wonder if the fact that lone bunnies tend to be so happy with their owner is in fact lonliness and desperation for company after being left alone?

I've got three rabbits now, two does live together they are mother and daughter, and Fluffy lives on his own, he is happy enough, gets lots of attension, we used to have another dwarf lop Fred (RIP) he lived alone too but craved loads of attension - gosh I miss him, he used to rush to the hutch door as soon as our back door opened and was so keen to get out he would push the door to get out faster. :D

Sparky is an only bunny at the moment, am looking to getting him a girlfriend after he's been castrated. Seems happy enough, he's not really one for cuddles at the moment, but likes to run round you if your sitting there reading the paper!

Im afraid I am with Donna on this one. Personally I could never keep a rabbit on its own. In the wild they live in colonies and are very sociable animals. I have never and would never rehome a rabbit to live on its own, even if it would be a house bunny. Because I get all the rabbits neutered before rehoming and have had experience with bonding I have not once come accross a bunny that didnt get on with others. I dont think anything can ever substitute the company of their own kind. Look at it this way, you cant binky, hop around when you get excited (unless you really want to :shock: ), groom your bunny in the way another would. When I look at the pairs of bunnies here they are all so much happier than the single ones.

Cheryl

This is a hard one and I'm speaking from my own personal experience about bunnies in the garden.

When we only had Panzy he was kept on his own in the shed he a huge run and as much attention as I and my daughter could give him and yes I honestly thought he was a happy bunny, always pleased to see us, loved a fuss but I have to agree with what donna and Cherly said when I was at work and my daughter at school, he would not see anyone for at least 7 hours :cry: how he felt during that time who knows? :roll:

Then 7 months later we got Binky and Bernard we addapted the shed into pens so they could all see each other but were divided by mesh, then they all went for the op :shock: and after recovery I put them together. Now and only now do I truly know I have happy bunnies :D They play, eat, snuggle and love each other 24/7 even when I am in bed I can hear them playing in the shed. After seeing my trio and my double act I would never be able to keep a single bunny again.

House bunnies I think are another story as they do have far more interaction with people and lets face it the house buns on this forum are SO loved up.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Donna and Cheryl on this one too, personally I'd try not to have one bun on its own - unless it basically just did not get on with other buns.

I know this isn't what some of you want to hear but its my opinion, and I'm not saying its the right one, its just what I've done.

I originally had Charlie on his own and to start with I decided that was fine, he lived in the house with us, got loads and loads of attention and seemed happy. But then I felt guilty about the time he spent alone in the daytime while I was at uni/work so I decided to get him a friend. It took a while for him and Fern to get on but when they did I knew I'd done the right thing. He got something from Fern that he just couldn't get from me. I'm sure he was happy on his own but I know he was more happy with Fern. Then when Fern died I tried to have Charlie on his own again but just couldn't, so Lavender came to live with us.

I have three rabbits now, and they all live on their own. Soon though I hope to bond my male Blaise and my femaly Daisy, and when that goes good add in my other male bunny oliver. That way no one will be lonely :D

It depends on the bunny, and it isnt cruel to keep one on its own. My Ralf was tried with 7 females and he attacked evey single one. They all looked different, had different personalities etc, but he didnt want anyone to live with him. Him and Poppy are seperated in the shed but he still has a go at her through the bars!! :roll:

I keep Jack on his own, but I hope to get him a partner one day. He lives indoors and gets a lot of human attention, but I think he would most likely be happier in a pair or group.

I haven't got him a partner yet for a number of reasons. He has health problems, and bouts of snuffles: a partner rabbit would also have to have snuffles, or I'd run the risk of making a healthy rabbit sick. I wouldn't be able to get insurance for a rabbit I knew was sick, so my vet bills would be more than I could currently afford.
Also, I may be moving house in the next year (my o/h is moving to Dundee today, he has just got a job there), so I don't know how much space I will have for a second bun, and I don't want to put a second bun through the stress of moving.
I am looking for work at the moment and don't want to commit to another pet, I have money aside for one bunny (and a hamster), but two rabbits might be stretching it a bit. Much as I'd love to have a partner for Jack, I just don't think now is the right time for me to have a second rabbit.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it is cruel to keep a rabbit alone, provided he/she gets plenty of attention, affection, exercise and has plenty of toys to occupy themself.

I think ideally rabbits should be kept in groups or pairs, but unfortunately you have to put your own circumstances first.

Back