• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Now Fudge is ill! HELP!!

Beebop

Warren Veteran
Well some of you may remeber Clove who was ill but thankfully recovered from Gut stasis 2 weeks ago, well now it is the other bunny. Fudge that is not eatting! :cry:

I went down as usual about 1 hr ago to see them and she refused banana!!!!! Fudge never refuses food, espeically NOT banana( which is a rare treat)!!! I offered her pellets (which she usually goes mad for) oat hay, meadow hay, toast, parsely, brocoili and she refused all them however she did eat some corriander and did pee and poo (about 4 poos only!!!) I can only hope it was the heat or something and she will eat tomorrow morning, if she doesn't I am going to have a nervous breakdown!!!

I fed her and clove a little bit of pineapple today and they have just started to eat some supreme science pellets with their ordinary mix, could that one of those be the problem? She ate some of the new pellets, pineapple and corriander in the morning, then when I went down again this afternoon she wasn't fussed on what I had to offer, I assumed it was the heat! :(

She is lying out flat and did move from the run into the hutch and I did see her move to clean her rear end several times!?! Could she be in heat, I know rabbits are always in heat (right?) but could this be something to do with this time of year? Her poos looked ok and her pee was sort of creamy in colour but I don't think it was all that thick, could it be sludgy bladder or something????? Please if you have any advice or anything please help!!!!

Have you got any Infacol in? This would help if she has gas - sounds like this is what it could be :? If you have any or if you can get to a supermarket and look in the baby aisles you should see it. I would give bun 2mls immediately followed by gentle tummy rubs. Another 2mls an hour later and more tummy rubs. If it is gas or any kind of stasis building up exercise is vital as well - if you can get bun to play or do chase playing then this also helps to get the gut going.
Hope that Fudge is better in the morning and that it's just a bunny ruse to get you worried :shock: :roll: :D

Thanks sooo much, it is too late to go out now but will get some into her tomorrow ASAP!!!

I just am praying it isn't pyometra as she was going to be spayed like next month, she has only just turned two, do you think she could have pyometra at her young age????

I hope gas is all it is!!!! I will keep you updated, I don't think I will get any sleep tonight, just as well it is a weekend! If she isn't eatting by tommorrow mid-morning she is going to the vets either tommorrow or Monday.

Thanks again! What would I do without this forum? You lot are all sooo nice and caring!

I just went down this morning (I have been awake since 6 worrying myself sick) and thankfully both of them were out in the run and eagerly awaited the goodies I had for them! So I got her to eat some banana and corriander as well as a few pellets! My guess is she had wind, so no more gassy veggies like brocolli etc for a while and she will be getting out either in her grassy run or inside the house, just depends on the weather to exercise. She was jumping around the run and well... just being fudge!

Why do my rabbits do this to me, I was nearly physically sick this morning with worry! :shock:

Anyway I have two hamters and two rabbits to clean out and exercise so I had better go! :( :lol:

Yes, Ralf did this to me yesterday too!! Funnily enough, I did exactly what Jaypot put on her post, I gave him some Infacol and a tummy rub and a hop around on the floor, as soon as he went back into the shed - he couldnt get the food down his face fast enough. Later that afternoon, he passed 2 huge sticky poos which had a bit of fur inside - so off to pets at home to get some kittymalt today as he's an overgroomer at the best of times. :roll:

Awwww are'nt they just such a worry eh! - Glad t hear little Fudge is feeling better though today.

The key generally with Statis is to getting the bunny returning to eating Hay, Hay and more Hay and you'll know your own bunny but may be worth keeping in minimum pellets and veggies for a day or two to ensure Fudge gets as much Fibre through his Gut as possible.

Oh yep and although Bannana is yummy I'd defo be a little careful that its only feed as a very occassional treat as its high is sugars which is great for weight gain for bunnies but I've heard it can sometimes interfere with the delicate bunny gut flora.

Hope this helps - sending snuggles to Fudge - glad you can relax a little now your bunny is brighter.

Oh yep and although Bannana is yummy I'd defo be a little careful that its only feed as a very occassional treat as its high is sugars which is great for weight gain for bunnies but I've heard it can sometimes interfere with the delicate bunny gut flora.

They get a small mouthful of banana once in a blue moon as I know is high in sugar and can also upset their tummies if given in large amounts, but thanks anyway! :D

They have no pellets in the hutch at the minute as I thought it would be best if both just ate hay and water. I cleaned them out whilst they were out hopping around and so have lots and lots of fresh meadow hay and a handful of oat hay too! Fudge seems fine now thank goodness but I will be watching her carefully.

Anyway thanks for all the concern and heres hoping Fudge and Clove don't decide to give me any more scares, I have had enough this past two weeks to last a lifetime!lol

Back