• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how to discourage birds? urgent!

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
i have two magpies that frequent my garden and they have started to get really brave and are sitting next to the runs, i am very scared that they are gonna attack the buns what can i do?! please i am scared what they may do!

Squirt them with a water pistol :shock: :shock: :twisted: :lol: ..this is what we have had to resort to as we keep getting them stalking our bunnies through the pen wire :?
I dont know what the real solution is, does anyone else have any ideas?

Adele said:
Squirt them with a water pistol :shock: :shock: :twisted: :lol: ..this is what we have had to resort to as we keep getting them stalking our bunnies through the pen wire :?
I dont know what the real solution is, does anyone else have any ideas?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thats exactly what I would do!

Hmm, difficult one!! I too would chuck water at them! :lol: Or maybe get one of those plastic heron things that sit near ponds, maybe it'll frighten them off? :shock:

Don't cd disks scare birds off?

You could place those on a string next to the runs and then the birds would leave them alone!

loopylop said:
You could place those on a string next to the runs and then the birds would leave them alone!

Thats is a good tip, but speaking of TIPS your garden may end up looking like one if you add row after row of old CDs on string!! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adele said:
loopylop said:

Thats is a good tip, but speaking of TIPS your garden may end up looking like one if you add row after row of old CDs on string!! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cds :shock: :shock: :shock: i dont have any cd that i dont like...................maybe it maybe work playing them some ****** music will that make them sod of........ like max bygraves or something :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get some free AOL or the like CDs. They worked for me for cats. I put them shiny side up where the cats peed

ugh dont get me started on magpies!! they're horrible!! they walk across the bunnies run and hve tried to attack but found themselves nose to nose with wire netting :D i use water pistols too! and also BB guns, but obviuosly not at them, just so the bang makes them fly off

bunnylove said:
Adele said:
loopylop said:

cds :shock: :shock: :shock: i dont have any cd that i dont like...................maybe it maybe work playing them some poopy music will that make them sod of........ like max bygraves or something :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You might find you get dancing magpies on top of the hutches :shock: :shock: :lol:

Yeh, just get blank discs from somewhere or like the free cd's for the internet from supermarkets!! :D

Trouble is magpies like shiny things so a nice shiny cd might attract more of them. Though noise would be good and what could be worse than Max Bygraves!!!!

Maybe you should get cat, owl or eagle shaped garden ornaments/weather vanes and put them on the fences around the run.

a couple of summers ago I had a couple of magpies in the garden waking me up at about 4 am every morning it got reaaly annoying :twisted: But we soon got rid of them My sons supersoaker worked a treat :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

magpies

Magpies are a real pest. They look quite attractive but along with posing a threat to small pets also take huge numbers of baby birds. In the countryside they shoot a number each year to keep numbers down but they've adapted well to urban living and, obviously, it's too dangerous to try to use an air pistol in built up areas otherwise I'd be out there doing my Calamity Jane impression! ( along with squirrels too! ...urrrgh squirrels..now I'm off..!!!)

conny said:
Trouble is magpies like shiny things so a nice shiny cd might attract more of them. Though noise would be good and what could be worse than Max Bygraves!!!!

Maybe you should get cat, owl or eagle shaped garden ornaments/weather vanes and put them on the fences around the run.

I was going to say the same!! they home in on anything shiny and sparkly!

Are they stalking the runs coz theres dry food in there? if so, only put hay in for the buns to munch on whilst in there...

Also if u have an old mobile phone or battery alarm clock put in on alarm or reminder for every half hour on the worst ring tone and that may help?

Get the buns used to the ringtone first tho by playing it quieter every now and then indoors or near their hutch...

I have 3 cats so no birds dare land in my tree let alone on the runs!!!

:)

Back