• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and guinea pigs.

sgprescue

Mama Doe
A lady approached me looking for a neutered male rabbit to live with her female. She also has an elderly neutered male that is a house rabbit and puts him out in the run with the guinea pigs during the day :evil: . I was shocked when I read this part of her email

refering our conversation i spoke with a lady at rabbit welfare who stated that
there was no problem with my old rabbit being with the guniea pigs for periods
during the day especially as he is getting to the point of not being able to move
his hind legs and therefore is no danger to my pigs!!!

I am angry at the RWA for even saying it was ok. Just because the bunny has problems with his back legs it doesnt mean he is ok to live with guinea pigs, there are a whole heap of other reasons not to do it :x

Cheryl

The pigs could be a danger to him tho!

The RWA published an article saying they shouldn't be kept together so maybe the emailer got it wrong.

Tam

I would contact the RWA if I were you and ask them. The probably didn't actually say 'It's ok', but the lady probably took whatever they said as meaning that.

I have phoned their helpline before and they did give good advice, but they did also say that they had to be really careful with what they say (esp on vetinary issues - apparently they have been in trouble in the past!) Call them up and see what they say - that's my advice. b-m

Hi - I'm one of the committee members of the RWA - obviously I saw the title of the post and thought I'd have a look!

The RWA helpline is manned by Anne who has years of experience with rabbits and piggies and ran her own rescue centre too. I can not believe that Anne would have said what has been suggested as it not RWA policy, nor her personal opinion.

If it would settle your mind then by all means ring her and double check! The helpline number is 0870 046 5249.

Anne also has a directory of rescue centres, so perhaps she suggested the caller contact you in the first place.

It is very difficult to give advice over the telephone and be sure that the caller has taken the right information on board.

Rae.

Thanks so much Rae for your post, we appreciate your giving your time to write :D
The RWA does not recommend piggies are kept with Bunnies in their literature, quite the opposite in fact.
I am sure this is just a misunderstanding somewhere along the line.

best wishes :)

Hiya,

I just had a call from Anne to see if I could pass a message on, to say she would never recommend keeping rabbits and guinea pigs together, and that with modern aneasthetics making neutering routine there is no excuse not to let them have company of there own species.

She's been trying to give you a ring Cheryl but I'm guessing your bunnying atm. If you want to give her a call the number is: 0870 046 5249.

I'm imagine the lady was probably told don't and then decided to try her luck anyway :roll:

Tam :)

Speaking of GPs and bunnies. My petplan leaflet said (in one) it was OK to keep them together as the problems were in the US?????

Oh dear, I hope I havent upset anyone now :?
I knew this wasnt normally their policy to say things like that but I couldnt think why this lady would lie about it :?
Oh well, she wont be getting one of my bunnies thats for sure.

Cheryl

I have just emailed the lady to ask who it was that advised her to do this. Something just doesnt add up there :roll:

I have changed the title now so I dont offend anyone.

Cheryl

Cheryl dont fret about it, all is cool honestly, it is just a misunderstanding, these things happen.

Love Adele and all the bunnies
XX

Back