• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore back feet (bleeding)

Gosh Caz i've no ideas as to what culd have caused it i would get him to the vet, but until you can get there just give his feet a little wash with some salt water and you could put a bit of sudocream on them XX

its weird, right at the back part of his feet, he sure didnt appriciate me getting a hold to look. There goes all my hard work letting him get to know me!! :roll: :(

Is it underneath his feet at the back i.e. sore hocks?

These are common in rex rabbits due to their thinner hair and giant rabbits too because of the extra weight on their feet. Also house rabbits can get them from the carpet i.e. carpet burn. If they have been living in damp conditions they can get infections on the hocks too.

As Phil said salty water works well and sudocream, don't use a moisturising cream as the skin needs to toughen up.

Caz

yes its where you said. The rescuse lady cut the fur on the base of his feet before we left, do you think this may have caused there to be less of a protective bit on his back feet?

He is in a cage with a coroplast floor and a litter pan in it, he hasnt really ventured onto the carpet outside the cage.

I will try and do his feet tonight....boy is he going to love this :roll: he is soooo nervous of me as it is, not what I needed to help the bonding process

Sounds like it may have been the case, they need to have a bit of fur under their feet to cushion the hocks. Also sometimes if their nails get over-long it changes the way they walk and they put more weight on the heel causing sores.

In the wild of course rabbits nails would sink into the mud as they walked keeping the foot flat.

For now I would bath the area and keep his cage really clean to prevent infection and make sure he doesn't spend a long time standing in his litter tray (try a piece of vetbed in the cage as a soft area to walk/sleep on).

Hopefully it should clear up but if you notice it cracking or getting swollen then he will need to see a vet.

Caz

I think it must have been the case, I will put something in for him to lie on, he isnt one for lieing in his tray anyway so hopefully that wont cause any problems

they were bleeding but not much and looking at them they dont look too bad, his nails have just been cut so hopefully that will not be a problem either

Aw, poor Cobey!

Maybe when you are trying to sort his feet out, give him a tasty herb for a treat or something so he doesn't think he has been naughty or anything and may co - operate a little more if he is getting something yummy! Plus, he might not get so mad at you either!!! :D

Good luck xxx

Get at least 2 of you to do it. Vet and me today both got nasty scratches from Sooty. We wre poking around his privates right enough. Which are healing well

Back