• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

fur mite or so i am told ????

suzy

New Kit
you might rememeber i put my rabbit in the rehome section well i av now decided to keep him i av just ordered him a new hutch and i am gonna break him into living outdoors well i did go and see tracey the guinea pig rescue in warwick and she said he has fur mite as he as a patch of dry flaky skin on his back it does not bother him at all but can someone tell me how to rid of it he doesnt like being handled so i will dread the vets trying to handle him , i could do with any advice on this plz , also he needs his nails cutting badly would there be anyone who is local to me who would cut them for him i am terrified in case i hurt him. thanx :roll: :roll:

Not sure re. the fur mites, I will have a search and see what I can find.
Whereabouts are you in the country (assume somewhere near Rugby) for the help with the nail trimming.

Looking at various sites it seems that many rabbits have a few fur mites and if these get out of hand enough to cause skin problems then you need to take the rabbit to a vet for proper treatment.
There may be an underlying reason why the rabbit has fur mites, it may be run down or it cannot groom itself properly due to teeth problems.

There are a lot of lotions and sprays available for mites on rabbits but none are particularily effective.

The best course of treatment is two to three injections of Ivermectin given by the vet. These have to be given 7 to 10 days apart to catch the life cycle of the mite but is usually clears them up and rabbits don't notice the injections at all they just sit on the bench through it.

There is usually an underlying reason such as illness or stress like Towsbuns said. My GPs got mites after they fell out and had a fight and my rabbit gets mites whenever he gets ill.

My vet said that rabbits that live outside are far less likely to get mites than house rabbits probable because the central heating dries their skin and makes them more prone to attack.

Caz

thanx fo reply i live in west bromwich not far from bham do u think he could be run down he seems fine to me ? wot veg do they recomend if he his a bit down then ? and i av always fed him hay and rabbit pellets so i thought his teeth would be ok

It may not be his teeth, with Zeus stress also brought on mites. For example when I went on holiday and my mother-in-law looked after him, he got quite stressed out and when we got home he had to be treated for mites. Now he lives with Athena he is a lot better when we go away but unfortunately he has been quite ill so his mites have come back.

Caz

The reason I mentioned the teeth was that my vet told me to keep an eye on the amount of fur mites I can see in Harmony's coat - Harmony has slightly inturning teeth and may cause her a problem but are fine at the moment, however, the vet did say that increased amounts of visible mites (can be seen as she is mainly white) may indicate teeth problems causing issues with her grooming.
West Brom is a bit far from me otherwise I would have offered to help with the nail trimming.

I'd have done his claws while he was here if you had asked.

As I said at the time he either needs stronghold or Ivomec both you will have to go to the vets for. So while your there I'd get his teeth checked just to give you peace of mind.

My two had patches of white on their backs when they went in for their first jabs but when i asked the vet about it she said not to worry unless it becomes worse and they start scratching in which case they would have some injections.

Diddeen said:
My two had patches of white on their backs when they went in for their first jabs but when i asked the vet about it she said not to worry unless it becomes worse and they start scratching in which case they would have some injections.

Charlie gets this too, especially when he's moulting. It is a first sign to check for mites but its not always mites, things my vet had told me or I've learned from experience is:
- to stare at the white bits to see if they move
- check for black specks (apparently that is poo)
- check for scratching; when Charlie has had mites he will be lying asleep and suddenly jump up and scratch etc
- check my arms for little bumps, I have a reaction to the mites which is quite common for humans to have (obviously this is only if you handle your bun alot)

Charlie has mites so bad once he became anaemic - v lethargic - trip to the emergency vet - actually one of my comedy vet moments as the vet took one look at Charlie and exclaimed - 'Oh dear he looks very pale', and I'm stood there looking at him like he's a wierdo asking him how he can tell beings as he's covered in fur! Apparently you can tell from the bit around their eyes! anyhow, I've digressed - I agree with what Caz said, the only treatement I've known to work is the injections.

I don`t want to scare any of you, i just want to make you aware if you aren`t already that one of the mites bunnies get called Cheylietiella (not sure on the spelling!!) can be caught by people and you may come out in an itchy rash. It`s other name is `walking dandruff` because it`s like little white moving specks on the skin.

Amanda said:
I don`t want to scare any of you, i just want to make you aware if you aren`t already that one of the mites bunnies get called Cheylietiella (not sure on the spelling!!) can be caught by people and you may come out in an itchy rash. It`s other name is `walking dandruff` because it`s like little white moving specks on the skin.

I was told that people can't catch it, its just a reaction to it that makes humans come out in the rash - its happened to me several times, I've never been treated for it (well except for dosing myself with antihistamines) and as Charlie's mite treatment worked the rash on me went away. None of my housemates/boyfriends ever suffered from it - just me but I have loads of allergies and eczema so I wasn't suprised. So itts nothing to worry about if it does happen to you.

Hi all,

Elvis had the injection treatment for mites a few months ago and it cleared up. Hes now got a few flakes on his head and on his back by his tail. Ive studied them and they dont move........its just flakey skin. Is this still mites?

BevBunny said:
Amanda said:

I was told that people can't catch it, its just a reaction to it that makes humans come out in the rash - its happened to me several times, I've never been treated for it (well except for dosing myself with antihistamines) and as Charlie's mite treatment worked the rash on me went away. None of my housemates/boyfriends ever suffered from it - just me but I have loads of allergies and eczema so I wasn't suprised. So itts nothing to worry about if it does happen to you.

It is a transitory reaction. They can live on your skin for a few hours at most I think and cause a reaction similar to an allergy rash as Bev said.

However they can't reproduce on humans and complete their life cycle so soon die off.

Caz

Back