• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!

binka

New Kit
One of my buns started acting very wildly this morning, it woke me out of my sleep. She was darting around the cage, like something was irritating her, could it be mites ? I have already phoned the vet, but they are not open yet, so I will have to wait until 9 to take her down there.
She seems ok, but I am worried ! Also if she has mites, can they spread ?(I mean to humans) Because this particular rabbit is alone in my bedroom, and I am worried that mites, might be everywhere !!! I am feeling a bit itchy now (or is it just my imagination?)

Somebody help me please ! :(

I don't think mites can spread (not sure though). It's pretty likely she is just excited as my bunny gets like that in the morning, tearing around his cage until i let him out. :lol:

Does she look ill? Is she eating/pooing?

Can't tell you if it is mites ( though Im sure if I was a rabbit and I had them Id be acting wildlt too !) But I don't think they can spread to humans - I think its one of those cross species things which doesn't happen - I think :? Try not to scratch too much. Have you checked the back of her neck ? Dont know if mites are too visible to the naked eye but when one of mine got berry-bugs years ago it seemed to be a prime spot for them.

Sorry not much help Im afraid.

She may just be happy with life, cos the weather is nice!! My 2 have been bonkers since the sun has been out, and when I was in the shower the other day, Poppy was thumping and darting around the shed! I thought she'd got in with Ralf and they were fighting, but when I rushed downstairs, she was just excited about getting her breakfast and being let out, she was throwing her cardboard box all over the place and doing huge daft binkys!!!

As tahra said if you check the back of her neck you may not see mites but you can usually spot there poo! (little flecks of black) Is she ictching at all?

I agree, your bun is probably just happy and excited. Is she scratching?

When Charlie had mites (chaetiella - sp?) in the past they were mostly been just above his tail - a tell tale sign of mites is dry skin that comes off in big flakes. Although saying that Charlie has dry skin at the moment so has some small specks of white (dandruff) around his tail - they arne't mites though as they don't move. If you stare at them hard enough you can tell if they are moving! but its always something to look out for.

Also, humans can't get them but you can have an allergic reaction to them - I do. I get lots of v v v tiny bumps on the inside of my arms where I pick up the buns. My vet told me that this is fairly common.

Btw just in case you don't know, don't use the spot on the back of the neck stuff for rabbits for mites, its v bad for them. I didn't know this years ago and used it on two of my buns who got very nasty burns from it. I'm not sure about the spray ones - perhaps someone can advise?

every morning its like that in my house :lol: from daylight they think yes breakfast time get so excited i av to get up and feed them to keep them quite but then they just carry on till i get up :lol:

lisa

Yep mine are like that too, Moved Jess in to a bigger space last night and out of her smelly dark hutch and all ive heard since 5AM this morning is her tearing round shredding paper, digging thumping bouncing etc, usually its Petey making all the noise though but he looked a bit shell shocked this morning at the racket she was making. They have the bedroom next door so it gets quite noisy.......she had trashed the place this morning......and shes usually so quiet and ladylike :lol:

I have buns from hell :twisted:

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread!

I took my bun to the vets, and she was given a clean bill of health, so all is well ! Thank goodness :)
The vet gave her a thorough inspection and could not find anything wrong with her.
He said she is a healthy, happy bun.

So my bun is home now, happy, safe & sound.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice, its good to know I can get help from other bunny lovers.

Hehe, I live in the same room as my buns, as it's a bedsit apartment...nowadays it's 4.30 when Xena wakes me up, wanting breakfast...so they get half then, and half at 7 when it's the normal breakfast time...yea, I know I'm giving in and reinforcing the behaviour, but the insane rattling of the cage bars drives me insane...

When I move they're moving into the shed for the summer. It'll be much bigger and healthier for them, as they love going outside...

if i shut my buns in their cage for being noisy they start to shake and rattle the cage door so dont bother anymore

lisa

Back