• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need a little help! Tamsin/Adele Angoras

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Hi guys

I went to do my routine groom this evening and noticed that lavender (white angora) Had a very dirty bottom :? So i trimmed her hair back so she could get to the area to clean it properly and gave it a quick clean as i think this was the problem, but i was wondering how to go about trimming her completly for the summer so that she doesn't get a dirty bum again.
Any ideas??

Thanks

Phillipa

Hiya Phill, I just keep all the fur around the back end completely trimmed up all the time, this stops anything sticking to it in the first place.
If you start three quarters of your way down the bunnies back (with the bunny sitting normally in front of you) and trim all around, above the tail etc, then flip the bunny to one side slightly and trim along the edges, and then underneath...I trim the entire skirt area, top, bottom and sides of the bunny.
Use small safety scissors, but I dont cut down towards the skin but hook the scissors into the fur from the skin level and cut upwards away from the skin..if you can understand what I mean :roll: :lol:
Keep some iodine spray to hand incase you have any minor skin wounds which can occasionally happen with every good intention.
I trim bunnies like this once a week, to really keep on top of things.
Hope this helps?

best wishes

I am laughing at the thought

Adele wrote

flip the bunny to one side slightly
as you do :lol: :lol: :lol:

Non fluffy bunny bums :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though...what a lot of work for you Adele

Thanks Adele :D That is a brilliant help! I gave her a little trim this evening but i will do her proparly tommorow night ( i think i'll bring her in the house) She is terribly good when it comes to being groomed! she falls asleep and even likes the hairdryer! :lol: :lol:

Sooty said:
Can you use dog thinning combs on them?

Yes I have used them in the past, but to be honest I tend to trim rather than groom the bunnies as it does not pull their fur.
They get really used to being trimmed and in time, just sit their and pose as you gently flip them around :!: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Marlene said:
I am laughing at the thought

Adele wrote

flip the bunny to one side slightly
as you do :lol: :lol: :lol:

Non fluffy bunny bums :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes Marlene, We prefere bare bots, as opposed to hairy ones... :shock: :shock: :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Perhaps we should start a new trend in bunny bikini waxes.....OUCH!!! eerrm perhaps not, the very thought brings tears to my eyes :!: :x :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phill said:
Thanks Adele :D That is a brilliant help! I gave her a little trim this evening but i will do her proparly tommorow night ( i think i'll bring her in the house) She is terribly good when it comes to being groomed! she falls asleep and even likes the hairdryer! :lol: :lol:

aawww you are most welcome Phill :D

Now that must be the first bunny I have heard of that likes hair dryers..... :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You need to take pics in stages of gentle flipping!! Like to see you try Sooty. Will see how vet manages when he has his check tomorrow :lol: :lol: :lol:

She does! She falls asleep! We had to wash her bum in winter as she rolled in a big pile of Mud!! Eeeeeeeewwwwwwwww! So we brought her in gave her a saught of bath which she liked as well and then gave her a little dry off with the hairdryer!! She loved it just fell asleep :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sooty said:
You need to take pics in stages of gentle flipping!! Like to see you try Sooty. Will see how vet manages when he has his check tomorrow :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well I can but try, but flipping bunnies (just like flipping pancakes) and taking a photo at the same time could be tricky :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now folks, please do not try flipping your bunny at home...I did not really say that :oops: dont want to start a flipping bunny trend here :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote="Phill So we brought her in gave her a saught of bath which she liked as well and then gave her a little dry off with the hairdryer!! She loved it just fell asleep :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Phill the mind boggles :shock: :shock: :!: :!: how can you have a doze with a hairdryer blasting away in the background, your bunny must be able to go into hypnotic trances.. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: or is my hairdryer just extra LOUD!!! :? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Me and my mum call her the Glastonbury bunny! she is so laid back it's unreal! you can do anything to her and she just sits there! :lol: She's like a hippy of the bunny world!

I think Adele meant to flip the bunny, not the vet. If you want to flip a vet you need a totally different technique :D

Tam

Tam wrote

I think Adele meant to flip the bunny, not the vet. If you want to flip a vet you need a totally different technique

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My mind "boggles"

Back