• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

SHOCKED!!!!!!

KATHY

Warren Scout
I had a female bun bought in yesturday who had 3 x 4 week old kits with her, imagine my surprise this morning when she had given birth to another 5.
now i have never come across this before, would it be best if i remove the older kits or leave them with mum?, i am not sure if mum could feed all eight and the older kits are still bothering her.
any ideas?
cheers.

What a shock! I read somewhere that this is what happens in wild bunnies during Spring time. (baby making machines!) I've never had baby bunnies so I'm not much help I'm afraid. Are the larger babies bothering the new babies?

Tough one, the 4 weeks are not old enough to have been weaned, so in reality neither should be removed...If they are still bothering her it means they are obviously still feeding and relying on her.
If you feel you really must take them away make sure they have a bottle on the cage which all can use, with goats milk in.
Perhaps soneone who has handreared can help as to when you can stop this.
Make sure the doe has a Calcium supplement as by the time she has weaned these kits she would have been nursing for up to 12 weeks :shock: Type in "Dr Squiggles" into a search engine and find the product "Calcivet" a supplement which should be added to water for a few days a week. Otherwise you could face losing the doe as well.
Rachel

We have recently taking in a mum and her babies. These were born when her first litter were 5 weeks old. She was in The Royal Veterinary Clinic at the time and they took her first litter out.
I don't know if this was the right thing to do, but it didn't seem to have a bad effect on her first babes.
I suppose if the first litter are eating on their own then it would give the second litter a better chance.

Oh my Kathy won't you have your hands full :shock: Good luck sorry I have no advice to offer other than maybe ring your vets and seek their advice. I should imagine the new babies wouldn't get a look in at feeding time.

When they have all settled can we see some piccies please?

Best of luck :D

As her first litter are 4 weeks old they should be eating and drinking by themselves as well as still taking from mum. What you could do is seperate her first litter off in to another hutch and put mum in once a day in the evening for about an hour. This should'nt affect her milk production for her new litter and will allow the new litter to be feed. Hope this helps and all teh best XXX

Back