• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Female spaying and Birmingham rabbits friendly vets

Smudge

Warren Scout
I've just realised that Smudge is coming up to a year old and could really do with being spayed.

Smudge and Bailey (who's already been done) live outside in a playhouse at the mo but soon they are moving up to mine where they will have a huge hutch and run. When she has had the op is it best to keep them in for a week while she recovers and then put them back outside?

Also as they are bonded is it worth asking the vet if they can go together. I know they would have to be separated when she's having the op but they are that bonded now that if separated by say a mesh fence Bailey will attack the mesh :shock:

Oh and has anyone got any recs for rabbit friendly vets in Birmingham?

Thanks!

Definitely take them both in when she goes for her op. Our vet looked at us a bit funny when we first asked her to do this for us, but now she realises that the comfort they get having their partner there when they wake up is invaluable.
I'd put them back in the hutch they are used to afterwards as to move them somewhere else might stress her, but if she is still very 'out of it' then you will need to keep her in to monitor her.

Hiya

Yep its always brill if you can find a Vet thats happy for you to take them both in together, sadly not all Vets have caught on yet to the benefit this can bring to recovery and general well being for bunnies.

Not sure which side of Brum your on but my bunny savy Vet has two practices - one in Solihull Centre (Warwick Road) and the other in Bentley Health which is just further on.

I can only speak from my own experience but she's been fab with my bunnies and she attends the Rabbit Welfare Conferences and has a general special interest in Rabbits.

If this helps - drop me a PM and I'll send you her details.

I am in North Birmingham but i think my other half would be willing to take them to one further away if they are bunny friendly, will pm you for the details!

They should be with my in Birmingham next week *fingers crossed* and i'm planning on getting her 'done' the end of july as Jamie is off for 3 weeks then. Hopefully this should be enough time for them to get settled into their new summer home :)

Back