• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some Aussie buns! :xB

ciara

Young Bun
cuteblackie.jpg

My Nethie X - Blackie when he was a bub.

thumptray.jpg

My favourite doe, Thumper sitting in her litter box after her spay, by the way that kong on a rope you can see next to her is her favourite toy!

thsmudgebaby.jpg

My prettiest doe, Smudge (as a baby), who is now in my avatar too. And boy has she grown since that pic!

I haven't got any of Lavendar or Snowy on this computer, will update with more photos as I get chance to take them!

Ciara :rabbit2:

:) I live in Southern Australia, in the driest state of Australia!

Generally hot and dry, and unfortunately full of myximatosis and calicivirus.
We've only recently got the calicivirus vaccination for our pet rabbits become available at the vets, and there is no vaccination for myxi. :cry:

So our buns either have to be inside 24/7, or have flywire covering their outdoor hutches.
The weather is good for people, and I guess pretty good for bunnies too, but the mosquitos suck! :?

Oh ryt, we go to perth, our family lives there. At least u can keep buns there, im sure my Grandad said u aint even aloud bunnys there, u no with all that rabbit wall stuff a gazillion yrs ago?!? :lol:

It's common for pet buns to get myxi, but usually the ones who are left down the bottom of the garden in a hutch - type of pets...
The lucky indoors ones are pretty safe from myximatosis.

There is a state in Australia called Queensland where pet rabbits are banned.
You are liable to get a $30,000 fine if you are caught with a pet rabbit in that state, and NO, I'm not joking. :shock:

Where I live, the laws regarding rabbits were just de-regulated, which means that pet shops can now sell rabbits.
Up until recently, rabbits were only available as *give-aways*, which meant nobody was allowed to sell rabbits at all.

The rabbit - proof fence never really worked that well anyways and there are wild (feral) rabbits all over Australia.
Most are killed by feral foxes or cats which we also have, or they are shot by hunters.
The wild rabbits cause alot of erosion in our sandy soils so they're not really a good thing.

Sooty Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:36 pm

Why no myxi jab??

I'm not exactly sure, something to do with the 'laws that be' feeling concerned that the domestic rabbit population (if vaccinated) would interbreed with the wild rabbits and thereby having myxi-immune buns running around the bush...

There is a huge feral animal problem in Australia, and the govt is over cautious I guess.

It's quite ridiculous, we can't even vaccinate our buns against Myximatosis. :cry:

Sarah_Jane Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:08 pm

Awww i'm totally in love with Smudge!!!!!! He's sooo cute!

Me too! :wink: I don't have any recent pics of her on this computer, but will endeavour to have some ready to post by the weekend.
She is my cutest bun, without a doubt! :bunny: :love:

Back