• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A big thankyou!

nic99

Warren Scout
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum, as Milo, my lionhead gave me a real scare tonight but thanks to reading lots of posts on here i didnt panic and knew exactly what to do.
I noticed at about 10 this evening that he hadnt been to the toilet since I had cleaned him out at about midday and had hardly touched his pellets. He was also hunched up in the corner of his run looking very sorry for himself. Thanks to lots of peoples previous posts i knew straight away that this was gut stasis. I didnt have any infacol and it was too late to go and buy any so i sat with him massaging his belly and syringe feeding lots of water. After about 2 hours of this he finally started eating a little hay and is now a lot happier and tucking into some oats and grooming himself. I just have to wait for some poos now and then i will be able go to bed feeling very relieved.

Thankyou again everybody!!!
Nicola

How is Milo this morning?

Hopefully you will need to change his litter tray again :lol: :lol:

Janice

AWW thats good to hear. My 2 have "quiet days" every once in a while and by the time you have spent all day at work panicking, they are binkying around and have eaten all their breakfast!! They do like to worry us! How is your bunny this morning?

Milo seems fine this morning. He has done more poos and a big wee so it looks like he will be fine. He has eaten most of his pellets, a little hay and a big chunk of brown bread and he is now sitting in the sunshine having a wash so its all good. Is there anything i need to do to make sure it doesnt happen again?

Great. Well done you! Some more experienced folks will advise you i'm sure. I guess he is quite fluffy. Do you give him Kittymalt to help the fur pass through his gut? Not saying this is the cause but its something to think about with fluffy buns :D

I dont but i think i will do from now on as soon as I can get hold of some. I don't want this to happen again. its so scary when they are ill! It may be the fur that caused it, as a couple of days ago he had a couple of stringy poos.

Back