• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Letter to Pets at Home

Nix

Mama Doe
I've written an email to Pets at Home about their branch here in Reading, as I went in last week and saw they were keeping lionheads and cashmeres on wood shavings. The poor little mites were covered in the stuff! I'm against them selling animals, particularly long-haired ones, but the elast they could do is to put them on the right bedding.

I also mentioned that the RSPCA is against keeping rabbits and gps together.

Anyway, I'll let you know when I get a reply. Hopefully they'll take this opportunity to educate their staff and improve the welfare of the rabbits.

Here's their reply. Strangely it sounds like a stock apology email to me as I wasn't complaining about the condition of the animals but the bedding they were on... hmmmm.

Good Afternoon,

Further to your email, may I firstly apologise for the problems you have witnessed with the rabbits at our Reading store. We never knowingly sell any livestock that is not 100% healthy. We have many routines and procedures to ensure that situations like this do not occur. Clearly, in this instance something has gone wrong.

I have passed on your comments and concerns directly to the Manager of the store as well as the Area Manager of Reading to look into. I would like to assure you that we are taking this matter seriously and any action that they deem necessary will be taken.

Once again I apologise for any upset that this may have caused and I hope that this matter will not deter you from shopping with us in the future.

Retail Department

Pets at Home

the obviously havent read your concerns nix and yes it does sound like a standard apology to me as well i would ring them if i was you!

Write to the chief executive of the company. I think its him/her who must reply (legally) Need to ask hubby. It would need to be a store wide policy for the different breeds and what they need

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry for such a stupid question, but what's wrong with keeping cashmeres and lionheads on wood shavings?

I've only owned short haired rabbits, so I'm innocent! lol
(Plus I keep my buns on paper or hay.. :p )

I know that a friend of mine bought a cashmere lop baby rabbit once, and it had wood shavings all caught up in its fur, took a bit of time to groom them all out too. :evil:

Is that the reason why?

Thanks! :)

Ciara :rabbit2:

Yep thats the reason!!!! it can cause the shaving plus any other dirt to get stuck around their bottom which can lead to all sorts of problems for them so it is always best not to but them on wood shavings at all.

don't worry you learn more things every day on here,

Thanks for that, I wasn't sure! :oops: :D

The registered breeder that had the fluffy lop babies had all of her baby bunnies on shavings. :shock:
And she had lots of Cashmere's too.

It's a shame she isn't as careful as lots of other people are. :wink:

If I ever get a fluffy bun I will make sure it stays far away from shavings!

Cheers
Ciara :rabbit2:

Back