• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sooty gets the snip (home now pics!!!)

Sooty

Mama Doe
Sooty goes in on Tuesday morning for his op. When he comes home should i keep him in another room from Lolly for a while in case he tries to pounce the bars (as Usual) and injures himself? Do i need to confine him to his cage and move the hay off the floor as its too rough?? I bought a heat pad for his carrier and a new mat for inside it. Anything else i need to do/buy???

When I had Hoo Haa done... fornight ago....the vet told me not to put him on hay for a week!
I had him in the house for a while, but he wasn't pooing.
(he gets a bit embarrased about going inside)
I really thought he wasn't going to make it, (he looked awful)
so I let him run round the garden, and he was fine after that.

I'd ask the vet, then do whats best for sooty.
Im sure he'll be able to make you know what he wants!

Sooty has a large indoor area where he lives alongside Lolly. If i shut him in his cage i think he would go loopy!!! I guess you're right. He'll let me know!!

When Simba was neutered i left him in his cage for the first night then let him out as much as he wanted. The boy's op is alot smaller than the girlie one so i wouldnt think he can do much damage to himself being in a cage next to Lolly. Cant remember now if they are allowed to jump for a few days or if im thinking of the girls, but if thats the case you might need to move things out if he usually jumps on and off things.
Good luck Sooty! Let us know how he goes

I kept my boys inside for 2 days when they had theirs done. Partly so I knew that they would be fine (I worry too much). My lot felt sorry for themselves for a few days but then soon went happily binky-ing away. Don't use hay or shavings/ saw dust for a week or two, keep him warm and calm, give him all his favourite treats.
Ask you vets advice if you are worried.

I confine my males to a hutxh for 24hrs and then let them have free rain of there run again, males op is alot less intrusive than the girls they are usually fine after 24/48 hours XXX Good luck Sooty!! Ooooooooh Pictures of Lolly and Sooty coming up eh Fiona XXX

I used vet bed when Joey had his done, and I kept him in his cage overnight. Then I let him have free run of the living room but kept an eye on him to stop him jumping up or over things (just in case).

Good luck Sooty!

I think i'll let him have his normal space and remove the hay. I can use the rack. Getting nervous for him now :? :? :?

Fingers, paws and everything crossed for lovely little Sooty tomorrow :D
Let us know as soon as you have any news.
I just let my boys have a rest for a little while when they get back from the vets and then let them do their usual stuff. Mind you, all the boys have come back from their neuters like they have just been for their claws cut :shock: :!: :? :roll: :D

I have packed some things for him including treats and food and a heat pad if he needs it.
stuff.jpg

Sooty was stealing hay from Lollys hayball!!!
Moresootloll011.jpg

Lolly is relaxed about the whole thing :roll:
Moresootloll014.jpg

Tell us how it goes! Everything should go great and soon you will have two bonded love bunnies :love: As always, your piccies are very wonderful and keep them coming after the neuter!!

Found a lump of matted fur at Sootys bum when grooming today so i'll ask the vet to cut it out. Sooty doesn't care much for bottom combing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My doe has just been spayed, and although I guess the boys would recover faster due to it being an easier surgery, I was told to keep my rabbit as quiet as possible for a few days, so no running or jumping allowed! :D

I have Thumper in a dog crate separated from the other buns while she recovers.
She was only spayed on Friday, so she is still inside for the rest of the week until I put her back with the others.
I think I want her to stay in with me permanently though!

She is a bit of a destructo-bunny though who likes her freedom, so she might go back to the bunny-shed with her friends on the weekend.
Still contemplating where she will go! :roll:

242f862f.jpg

Here is a pic of her *hospital crate* that I set up for her, it has paper and a litter box, and a soft towel for her to sleep on.
I was told not to put her on hay as it might irritate her sutures.

I tied up her oaten hay (we dont have Timothy hay in Oz) and it is off the floor so she can chew it when she wants, without having to sit in it.

Her fave toy is hanging which she was just swinging around a moment ago!
Thumper is happily munching on her endives as I type, and seems quite content in her crate. :p

Ciara :rabbit2:

Sooty went in at 9am and i've been cleaning like mad to keep my mind off things
Here is his non-hay cage
snipday001.jpg

Here is Lolly enjoying his run
snipday002.jpg

Here she is waiting for him to come back. I have to call lunchtime
snipday003.jpg

Back