• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where did you get your first bunny? (Again)

donna-arc

Mama Doe
Looking back through the old topics I found one - Where did you get your first rabbit? and found it really interesting. As there are lots of new people on here I thought I'd ask the question again.
Obviously all those who replied last time can do so again as the new people would not have seen it.

I got my first rabbit when I was 9. A boy at school asked if I could look after his rabbit during the summer holidays. My mum said that was OK.
She was a himalayan called Powder.
About a week into the holiday she had 5 babies - 4 himalayan and one black. I called them Eany, Meany, Miney, Mo and (now remember this was YEARS ago and it was OK then) ******!!!
Summer holidays ended and I went back to school but the boy didn't. He never did return!
We kept Powder and ****** and rehomed the other babies.

Oops! It won't let me put on the name I called my black baby rabbit!
Shows how unacceptable the word is now. It starts with N and ends with er. Sure you can work it out.

So it seemed that my destiny of taking unwanted rabbits was decided at an early age.

Well, I had my first bun called "Jenny" that many years ago, I can't even remember how long ago it actually was!

We since then had dogs and cats but never buns, I think in those days dogs and cats were the animals for in the house (I lived in Canada at the time) and bunnies were the animals theat were kept at the bottom of the garden ( :( )

For some strange reason, I really, really, really wanted a bun about 4 years ago, I'm not sure why cus no one around me had them! It took me about 2 years to convince my mom to let me have one (i was living at home at the time!) :lol: So, as soon as she said yes, within 24 hours I was all set up with my new bun!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

my mum had rabbits when we were young :shock: seems like a life time ago!!!

and then i decided i would get a couple of rabbits a couple of years back, but then i lost one of them last year and acumilated another 15 :shock:

i can now say they are well and truely in my blood!!!!

Eve x

Hiya, our very first rabbit turned up on the doorstep, he must have been brought with the Stork :wink: :roll: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was four at the time, and was so entranced to see a huge white bunny on the garden path :p we advertised to find his owner but no one came forward, so SNOWY (original name...NOT!! :!: :lol: ) arrived and brought with him seven years of mischievious antics.
He kept escaping and ending up in the vegetable patch next door, the neighbours were very tolerant in the circumstances :roll: :lol: :lol:
Thereafter it snowballed.....we were hooked as a family!.
During my teens we never had less than 12 bunnies, and at one time had 52! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
They had the run of a huge garden and we rounded them all up at night.
We only ever lost one to a fox, and if cats dared to come into the bunnies territory then they kinda wish they had not!! :p :lol: :lol: The bunnies formed a large circle around the intruder and then all dived in to bite his/ her tail at once, this worked very effectively as a deterrant.

Thanks to our dear Snowy, we have had many happy hoppy years :D

my frsrt two were from a pet store, never again we had bad advice and nothing but trouble for the first few weeks and the died at 2 from bridging of the spine cause by breeding too closley together to other we still have but she had teeth probs the 1st year.
then ever since we had ours from reputable breeders and touch wood no probs or they r rabbits iv breed myself
becky

Dusty came from a pet shop! This was before we knew rescue centres for rabbit existed!!! We got some advice from a breeder, but it wasn't very good advice! We were told they would go wild if their run was too big :shock: and that he wouldn't need a friend :!:

I got my first bunny from a petshop when i was about 12. I went and chose him.. he was a dwarf lop i think, was white with pink eyes, a grey nose, tail, ears and paws and i called him Smudge.

I got my first rabbit only 2 years ago. I got her at a petstore because she seemed so alone there, and named her chloe. After a while, we found out that chloe was a charlie (if you know what I mean) and we ended up having a litter of 6. Charlie passed away 3 weeks after his neuter, 4 days before he turned 1 years old, but I still have 1 of his babies! Charlie got me into the rabbit hobby and I am very thankful for that, and now I am up to having 3 rabbits :roll: :lol: !

mine was from a clown at Butlins.i was nine. he asked the audience if anyone wanted a rabbit and i was chosen, they gave me a very frightened tiny white rabbit straight after the show. we kept her in a cardboard box until we went home and hurriedly built a hutch. it was only a few days until a litter of black and white babies appeared in there too!!! bad clown! :shock:

I was only 3 when I got my first bunny, and I've had LOADS since then ranging from horrible pet shops and a nasty woman who runs a rabbit breeding farm, and now Im older and wiser - one from the rspca and 3 from a rescue centre!! :D

My mum had a REW called Pinky when I was born. Then we got a Havanna Rex called Tippy, Orange Rex called Snuffles (I didn't know it was a rabbit disease when I called him that, he later developed Snuffles... I think I jinxed him!!) and Otter Rex called Truffles. The were all from pet stores and am sad to say that in the cold and miserable months they were stuck in a hutch at the bottom of the garden. :cry: I feel so bad when I think about them. They had plenty of food and stuff, but not much room to run around in.

Then a few years ago my sister got two rabbits, she was told that they were both girls, a wee while later and I've got Joey and she's got 7 rabbits! I've recently adopted Skye from an SSPCA centre.

Don't feel bad Julie, we've all done things we regret. At least we have learnt and won't make the same mistakes again.

Hi,

I got my first bunny when I was 40 and didn't know any better, from a pet shop.

He was my first and last, the next came from a breeder, did not like the way she kept her bunnies and decided that was not for me.

Since then for the last 8 years they have all been rescues, hard work as many of then are Troubled but to say I have had hours of laughs and heartbreak is an understatement but I would have it no other way.

Maureen

hi dons, you really want to know? its a bit of a long story, so i will tell you the shortened version!

me and my family were exactly the same as everyone else, you go down to the pet shop and see really cute fluffy babies and want them! my mum, my 2 sisters and me all decided that we wanted to each have a rabbit, so unlike sensible people we went down to our local pet shop and put our trust in them completely, not thinking that our 4 girls may be boys. so we got rosie, billie, wilma and tupence, and what do you think happened??? rosie and wilma were boys and got our 2 girlies pregnant. it was horrible as when mum opened up the hutch she found that they had killed all of the babies. when we went back to thw pet shop mum wanted to let them know that the sexes were wrong so they didnt do it again and what did the man say? 'at least we got 2 of the sexes right!' and we have never been back since!

poor old rosie he was ridiculed by all my other buns for having a girls name when he was a boy!

all my other buns have come from rescues!

sophie

After reading all your stories, I thought I would add mine on!

We have had loads of different pets from when I was about 6 years old, with the first being a pair of gerbils. These turned out to be different sexes and before we knew it we had 3 litters!!
Next I had goldfish (kept dying!) and lots of hamsters, which I did breed once.
Then I went on to guinea pigs and the most I had was 10, as I bred them a bit too.
The first rabbit I got was a black nethy dwarf called Sooty, who was lovely, but unfortunately he had to be pts as he got a massive abbcess.
Next I got my favourite rabbit called Smokey which my mum tells me was a rescue rabbit (I don't remember!). My sister ended up with a nasty rabbit which a friend bred by mistake (we should never have got it, as mum was nasty too), but we felt sorry for it.
My last 2 rabbits at home were a dutch rabbit called Flopsy, who one day was found in the garage with Smokey, so we ended up with Mopsy as well!! These 2 girls didn't live that long but they weren't spayed or vaccinated as we didn't know as much then as I do now!

Smallbrownfrog..."mine was from a clown at Butlins.i was nine. he asked the audience if anyone wanted a rabbit and i was chosen, they gave me a very frightened tiny white rabbit straight after the show. we kept her in a cardboard box until we went home and hurriedly built a hutch. it was only a few days until a litter of black and white babies appeared in there too!!! bad clown! "

That is too surreal How bizarre :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brendan got my first rabbit from a british giant breeder advertising in the free-ads as a surprise when I finished my uni finals. I stayed at my parents during my finals (easier to get to uni) and when I moved back to our new house there was a rabbit waiting for me. Poor fella only made 15 weeks before being pts because of an abcess blocking his nose and throat. He was called Fudge (colour) and loved to climb trees, he would come to his name and was very smart.

Zeus we got from a well known giant breeder in Kent and has been sickly all his life. The other three came from rescues (different ones) and have been the healthiest!

Think I might stick to rescues from now on ;) !

Caz

One of my friends wanted a rabbit for Christmas 2 years ago and her b/f bought her one from a pet shop. Once I met him and realised what great pets they are (and followed the poor fella round sniffing him to see if I was allergic) I started researching and found out about rescues.

So I ended up at Sue's in Bracknell and came home with Percy and Rosie (love at first sight - Percy grabbed the ring on my finger and pulled my hand into the hutch with him!). In October someone advertised Dudley on another forum cos he'd wandered up to somebody walking their dog in a field :shock: and been taken to her vets. Once again it was love at first sight even though he'd only just been neutered and stank :? Then we took that lot to Sue's when we went on holiday in January and met Jemima, who just had to come home with us!

I count them all as my first rabbits really as I got them all in under a year!

Back