• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

update on Cassie, she had babies

AnimalLover89

Young Bun
well on the 30th at night time around 11.30 - i went upto check on Cassie, she was having contractions - ever 97 seconds.
i shouted on my um, she came straight away.
she was getting really scared with me and my mum being there.
after about 20 mins or so, we left her and went to bed.
my mum woke up at 7am and checked to see if there was any babies but there wasn't any there, so we thought she ate them. :?

i checked her at 4 pm when i came back from school - to let her out, as she wasn't her normal self :?
i was in the midle of lifting her up, when i descovered to extra feet were dangling :shock: a baby was stuck.
i rushed and tried to pone my mum's mobil, but they were no answer, so i ran round to my brothers house,a nd phoned from there.
i eventualy got her, and she came as fast as she could, she was in Glasgow at the vets with my dog.
before my mum came i was trying to pull the babt out, but whenever i touched the baby, Cassie screamed with pain :(
my mum eventualy came and she pulled the baby out, she wasn't in as much pain when my mum did it, - the vet told her to do that.

well we rushed her to the vet, and the vet said that if she has anymore babies we have to go to the emergincy vet.
we also got another apontment for the next day.

well my mum looked in her cage, and there was a babies head :x

we went to the vet again and she had a baby stuck inside her, so we left her at the vet,a nd went back later and she had the baby her self with out an operation. :)
she also ate the baby :x

the 1st baby that was stuck inside her was huge, it was bigger than a hamster, i must have been about 5 or 6 inches.

when we get more money we are going to get all 3 bunnies done, Cassie 1st though.
does anybody know if there/ ware we could get a cupin of the money for the op, as my mum is a single parent.
we got the cupin when we got the dog and my 2 cats done, but that was a few years ago, and my mum can't remember ware :? .

How very sad for you...a terrible experience and you are so young. I am sure that everyone will have some advice for you when they read this ...thinking of you :love:

So sorry to hear about the terrible time you have had. Did none of the babies make it? Hope Mummy bunny is ok.

Sending hugs

this happend to me once with my mini lop saw she was having babies and i know she was fine with me as she had a litter before so i looked in the nest and there was one huge baby that was still born she seemed to be a bit stressed and in a bit of trouble so i got her and found she had a baby stuck so i held her while my mom pulled the dead baby out, then we left her on her own to recover and see if she would have anymore luckly that was it, since then she has sucesfully had 2 litters the one litter she fostered one baby too and the other litter she has now but only had one.
but this is not unusual for nethies to have probs with giving birth its is quite commen with nethies to have dead kits as they can find it hard to give birth as they only have short bodies and the kits have quite large heads, so they can get quite sressed by this and end up hurting the babies when giving birth so remember i dont think she did this on purspose also this was her first litter and scattering a litter is something else that is common, it hapened to me once the rabbits isnt quite aware what to do with the babies and often over groomed babies and will eat them but not on purpose they dont usually eat the whole kit, sorry this is a bit graphic just trying to explain cause in my litter the mini lop again, her first litter she scattered and found 1/2 eaten kits, but she is one of the best mothers just that she wasnt sure 1st time round but with her first litter there was one surviver.
oh just to ask, was the buck larger than the doe, if so this might explain why the kits were so big and why she had a difficult birth
HTH
becky

Can you find the phone number for the PDSA ( they have charity shops around too) They should be able to point you in the right direction . Sorry about all the problems you've had. I hope things can only get better.

Back