• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth Problems

Having visited a rescue recently, I got the impression from one of the carers that some kinds of rabbit are more likely to suffer from maloclussions of the teeth. (I'm confident I've spelt that badly, sorry). Can anyone tell me if this is true or whether I've got the wrong end of the stick.

Thanks!

I'm not sure. I've always thought that some breeds were more prone to it - our nethie dwarf for example. Someone once said that some rabbits were bred for cuteness and so their jaws were the wrong shape leading to teeth problems. I can't remember who said it though - it could have been a vet.

The majority of rabbits we have with tooth problems are Lionheads.
Haven't noticed that any other breed are particulaly prone.

Both of my vets told me that the bunnies prone to teeth problems were the ones furthest from a 'natural' rabbit - ie lop ears and squished flat faces, as it makes their jaws the wrong shape.

Whether there is any statistical truth in that I'm not sure.

ive had two mini lops and both have had problems with maloclussion teeth
i had french lop who had no probs and my nethie (touch wood) seems fine

lisa

BevBunny said:
Both of my vets told me that the bunnies prone to teeth problems were the ones furthest from a 'natural' rabbit - ie lop ears and squished flat faces, as it makes their jaws the wrong shape.
That makes sense! Squidgy has a very squishy face (hence the name). He had to have his front teeth out. :(

My vet told me that minilops and dwarf lops are the proun to have teeth problems as they are bred to have smallish round faces.

Bernard who is a mini/dwarf lop has had his front teeth upper and lower removed.

Panzy seems to have only recently developed teeth probs and he is a dwarf lop

BevBunny said:

Whether there is any statistical truth in that I'm not sure.

I've read this in a few rabbit books too.

My bun Charlie (Liohead Lop) appears as though he has got a second row of front teeth behind the first (top only). They didnt seem to be causing him any trouble until recently and now they seem to be gradually getting longer (nearly as long as the front front teeth. I am worried as they wont have anything to grind onto therefore would he need regular dentistry?

I have asked one of the vets that see us (it is a different vet each time we go) and she said that some Rabbits do have this kind of tooth structure and that it was not a problem. Has anyone else heard of this?

(He is eating fine, there is no problem there at all - as destructive as normal!)
Thanks
Kirstie

donna-arc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
The majority of rabbits we have with tooth problems are Lionheads.
Haven't noticed that any other breed are particulaly prone.

Oh great!!!!

Kirstie said:
I have asked one of the vets that see us (it is a different vet each time we go) and she said that some Rabbits do have this kind of tooth structure and that it was not a problem. Has anyone else heard of this?

Hiya,

They are called peg teeth and as far as I'm aware all rabbits have them! Usually you can't see them as they are tucked behind the other set of front teeth.

There is a diagram here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=18&cat=1803&articleid=3078

That shows it quite well.

Just keep an eye that they don't overgrow and start curling backwards into the mouth or over the lips.

Tam

hi i have 2 lionhead's 1 has bad teeth the other is o.k i've always been told it's due to inbreeding

My lionhead Ralf has had a dental to remove spurs and still finds it difficult eating certain foods. He is a very fussy eater and I have to cut hard foods up into small slices, so he can manage to eat properly. Hay is a bit difficult too, he likes the super forage as its cut into small pieces, but he's still a fuss-pot!!! Poppy doesnt appear to have any problems and eats anything with ease!! :lol:

My french lop has always had terrible teeth problems, i was told that this is because he is a larger breed and they tend to have more health problems? Don't know

Thanks for that Tamsin - sorry to sound like a right idiot! Peg teeth - that diagram is really great!
I have 3 rabbit books and none of them say / show anything as helfpul.

I think your right that it is the rabbits who have been bred with small jaws so there is not enough room for the teeth, like the lops and netherland dwarfs. I have heard that the large breeds are more prone to health problems, but have to say my 5 french lops are much healthier than any of my other rabbits(touch wood).

Back