• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scab formed after VHD injection - what to do ?

Martin E

Warren Scout
Yalta had her booster for VHD about 3 weeks ago.

We've just noticed a quite large (well large compared to the size of the injection) scab on her neck where the jab was.

It is raised quite a bit, and looks like it is starting to come loose.

I remember reading recently there about risks of abcesses forming under scabs.

Is there anything we should be doing or using to keep it clean or reduce the risks ? also should we actually remove the scab now ?

Our vet's advice is to let the scab fall off naturally - and the keep an eye on it for possible infection (although I'm not sure that they are competely up to date on rabbit know-how on this).

thanks for any advice

Martin

Someone with more experience will be along soon to give some good advice Im sure, as I dont know much about this, but I remember hearing that if a bunny has a scabby reaction, it means the injection has worked really well. My old lop Beemer had a scabby head after her first injection, and I just left it alone and it healed up itself.

Not sure if this was the right thing to do, but it was years ago and I didnt have this forum to ask for advice!! :D

hi there my bun gets a scab after vhd, its actually a good sign as it means it has taken effect very well! but i would just keep it clean with warm salted water and then apply a thin layer of sudo cream once dry!

do let the scab fall of naturally and if it is not properly healed THEN you risk infection! i am suprised that it took three weeks to appear as my boys appear within days, are you definatley sure it was not a bite from another bun?

eve x

thanks for the replies :D

well, by the looks of the scab - it has been there a while - since the jab.

We've only just noticed it since she's been malting, her fur was really thick there and its not on one of the usual 'stroke me' spots.

It looks close to ready to falling off by itself, so we'll leave it be for a few days and see what happens, then clean it once the wound/skin is exposed again.

it's def not another bun - she's on her own :)

thanks

Martin

Martin E said:
thanks for the replies :D

well, by the looks of the scab - it has been there a while - since the jab.

We've only just noticed it since she's been malting, her fur was really thick there and its not on one of the usual 'stroke me' spots.

It looks close to ready to falling off by itself, so we'll leave it be for a few days and see what happens, then clean it once the wound/skin is exposed again.

it's def not another bun - she's on her own :)

thanks

Martin

you can and should clean whilkst the scab is there the salted water should prevent any infection!

Martin E said:
ah - ok - thanks :)

how strong a solution of salted water should we use ?

Martin

i dont think it matters it is only for bathing! maybe fill a tea cup with half of cooled boiled water and then put in a teasppon of salt!

This happended to my first bunny.

She did bleed a considerable amount, and we sought attention.

I have heard that the vaccine burns the skins, and a careless vet might have let it spill out as he withdrew the needle. My bunny Charlie was fine, the vet was careful when injecting.

Speak to your vet in case antibiotics are required, but I would try and leave it alone, unless it looks infected or doesn't heal in a day or so.. If you draw attention to it, your bunny certainly won't leave it alone. Salt warm water is a good wash.

Eve and I talked about this one before as my bun Otis got the same reaction...it did come off naturally with no side effects and Im happy to say he didnt get the same result after this year's vaccination. He is a scruffy wee man though alwasy looks like he's got a spot of dandruff - so maybe some are just wee sensitive souls !

lol - yep Yalta would come under that category - well skin wise, physically she's small but extremely energetic and has a strong personality.

Not sure if its the VHD, but I think one of the jabs needs to be drawn so that there is some slight spillage onto the skin - not sure why, but according to our last vet that was the case.

Yalta's scab is still there, we're cleaning around it, but there are signs of slight bleeding around it where its worked partly loose - she will insist on trying to reach it.

Martin

Back