• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Becoming a new owner

TripleD

Warren Scout
Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are looking to become rabbit owners, but I kinda wanna do the research before getting one. Don't want mine ending up in a rescue centre!

I had one as a child so have go a rough idea how to look after em! Use to get 50p for feeding and cleaning snowy out!! :D

I've read lots and lots of websites, but have a few questions.

First of all we're looking for Dwarf Lop eared rabbits. Having not actually got a hutch currently what's the ideal size to house 1 / 2 rabbits?

Can you house 2 rabbits in the same hutch, some places say no, some say yes, obviously I'm not wanting to breed, but was thinking a male and female would be good company for each other? as long as the male is neutered?

Would 2 rabbits sleep in the same place? or would I need to modify a hutch to have 2 bedrooms?

My plan is to have a hutch mainly, but also to have a colapsable run to put them in while I'm there, is this okay, order should I try and incorporate a run into the hutch?

Also, if anyone knows of any dwarf lop rabbits around the Ipswich area that need a good home, give me a shout!!

Firstly well done you for seeking the information first. Male female is usually the best combo to have but i would advise having them both neutered and keeping them separated until that is done.

Once they are bonded then they should happily sleep in the same bed. The ideal size hutch for one bun is 4x2x2 ft, and ideally should have a run attached, but that is not esensail aslong as they have free running space for most of the day and put to bed at night.

Garden sheds are a great idea for housing they provide plenty of space and you can attached a run to it.

there is a section at the top of the index called rabbit care refference.

Oh and wlcome to the forum.

Hi!
I'd agree with Phill that male/female pair is best. I currently have neutered male/ unspayed female (though probably will get her done soon!) and they bonded almost straight away.
Mine live in a run, that we built to be super safe for them, and they actually both sleep snuggled up on top :lol: of the hutch.
bunnyrun.JPG

Good luck with the bunnies! Let us know where you're getting them from etc.

Thanks for the replies people.

The kind of hutch I'm looking at is one of these 2 floor ones. I'm hoping that it would give 1 / 2 enough room to play in during the day, they I can put them in a run when I get home from work!

With having runs, is it best not to have them on grass?

We have a two tier one inside :roll: for our housebun. He loves it so much, he hardly comes out! I think a run's fine on the grass, if the buns are going to be supervised (so they don't dig out!). You could also move it around so they don't completely destroy your lawn! there is a thread somewhere about runs, I'll see if I can find it.

Oh yes, it's on the rabbit rehome site :oops:
£45, eight panels, interchangeable

Can't seem to find that,

And links??

Also, is it true that if you only house one, it's best to get a male?

Hiya alternatively you could site your rabbit run on patio slabs so they cannot dig out :roll: :lol: and also so you can wash the area down every few days with disinfectant.

Buying a small shed is better value for money spacewise, or but a two tier hutch so the bunnies can run up to a different level, as they enjoy being elevated.
If you buy a standard hutch with togs as door closers, you need to replace them with proper bolts and possibly padlocks to make it fox proof.
Hope this helps, best wishes

Ps. I am not sure it is really any better having a Buck rather than a Doe, it depends upon whether you are going for rescue bunnies, or younger bunnies.
Rescue bunnies are usually neutered, so at least this gives you a head start, by removing some of the hormonal issues :wink: In this case, it makes little difference which sex you take on.
Unspayed Does can get very difficult to handle when they reach maturity, so if you are considering taking a young Doe on, you kinda expect some trouble ahead :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mind you, young Bucks can be moody too, so you may have to hide when the teenage tantrums rear their ugly head :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

..I still have the teenage tantrums myself now, and I am 35 :!: :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: :shock: ..so how can you explain that :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:and as for my husband, he is in his second childhood fast approaching his 40 Birthday :? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi there. Read loads on here and then you can make up your mind. Remember if you get a female you must get her neutered as there is an extremely high cancer risk if not. Have you looked at rescue rabbits? You could get a ready bonded pair with ops done!

I was thinking the same: for easy introductory rabbits I would go to a rescue and get a neutered, bonded pair then that is the hard part out the way and you can get on with playing with them ;)!

You can get younger or older pairs in rescues although most will be over 6 months (the age when they can be neutered/spayed). With adult rabbits their personality will already be evident so you can find a pair that fit in well with you, although younger ones do have the advantage that hopefully they will not have known misstreatment.

We tend to advocate hutches with attached runs that you can leave them with access to all day but lock them into their hutch at night for safety.

Caz

Just wanted to say hi :wave: and welcome you to the forum.
I have 3 bunnies housed indoors in a 2 tier cage I built myself; it's made from wire panels sold as storage cubes, with hardboard floors. They have soft mats and things to flop on, but generally just roll around in hay! My 3 are happy in it for the day, and come out when I'm home. You should make sure whatever bunhouse you end up with, that there's enough height inside for your buns to stretch up on their back legs, my 3 are surprisingly tall!
As for Ipswich bunnies, there used to be a woman in Trimley (nr Felixstowe) who rescued buns, but I think she may have closed. Could try the RSPCA in Martlesham? Or there's always the Suffolk Show starting tomorrow (where I'm off to) :) if you're looking for a specific breed...

Jo

Hi and welcome tripleD :wave:

I would think about looking at rescue bunnies they usually come neutered vaccinated and bonded :D Ask anyone on here about the worry we have when they go for their ops or trying the bonding process, taking on rescue buns all that worry is removed. Bramble and Blossom were two rescue buns and they are inseperable they had both been neutered but not vaccinated.

Anyway good luck Im sure what ever bunnies you have they will bring you much joy

i definitely think that you should get 2 buns that are from a rescue like the others have already said! i wouldnt worry about pairing up too much as someone from a rescue should be able to help you out with this.

where abouts are you?

some rescues may have some hutches for sale, do you want to keep the buns inside or outside???

sophie

I'm looking to keep the rabbits outside.

We'll be going to see what the RSPCA have in Ipswich on Friday, will take the opportunity to have a chat about hutchs and that. Gotta get the right one coz they come out and check!

UPDATE:

Went to see the RSPCA today, unfortunatly there wasn't any rabbits there that we thought we could home!
Back to the drawing board!
Am going to see Thumper Rabbit Rescue tomorrow, failing that the local pet shop has got one that we like!

Good news, think we've found the right hutch!! Two levels, nice and high, and nice and deep! The rabbit run turned up today, so we're all ready to go!

Back