• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Martha has gut stasis!

Lind80

Mama Doe
My poor little (big) 5 year old French lop Martha has got gut stasis. She has stopped passing droppings today. I have offered her all her favourite things and she has eaten 1 yoghurt drop and a couple of dandelion leaves. I have just gone and got some Infacol, but not sure how much to give her? I syringed her some Recovery diet this morning which she seemed to take. I have tryed giving her more though and it just sits in her mouth, so have stopped that now. I have also just gone and got some baby food, although not ideal I thought if she will take it, at least its better than nothing! She has had Metacam, Metoclopramide and Vetergesic. Anyone got any other ideas to get her going again.and how much Infacol a very large french lopshould have? She was still looking quite bright although now she is looking a bit floppier! Oh she also had sub cut fluids last night!

you can give about 2mls of infacol. I know u can give more later but i cant remember exactly how often. Adele or Jaypot would know.. i will try find the post that they said it in

Rabbits are strictly vegetarians and can't digest diary products, therefore yoghurt drops shouldn't be fed. :wink: Not sure but I think milky foods can contribute to gut stasis, as i said I am not sure. maybe some pineapple juice would help her too. Syringe a small amount and make sure she doesn't become dehydrated.

Do you have access to fresh grass that has not been exposed to pesticides or cat wee etc? I've found mine can't resist that when they've had statis.

She won't eat grass, I have tryed picking some for her and tryed putting her in the outside run, but she just lies there. I'm a bit worried about syringing anything else in her mouth as shes not swallowing it! If she starts swallowing I will try it. She has eaten another dandelion leaf, but that is it. I have given her some more sub cut fluids as well as she still won't drink. I think she has just given up fighting, its so sad watching her. Everything I have tryed putting in her mouth just sits there or falls out. She hasn't passed any droppings or urine still.

I have just given her some more Infacol, Metacam and Metoclopramide, so I'm hoping that might pick her up a bit

Thanks. She has just eaten a stick of celery :thumb: Hopefully that will start things off. Her belly had gone completley quiet and it has just made a few gurgles. She has also just licked 10ml of baby food of a syringe :)

Hope she perks up by morning, fingers crossed for you. Could also try something like cucumber chunks or grapes, if she ate them at least she'd be getting a little water with it? Natural fruit juice maybe, buns seem to love sweet stuff. Let us know how it goes.

Jo

Poor Martha and poor you, I have just been through this with my frenchie Blueberry, although not quite so bad as she started eating at about literally just as I was about to ring the vet!
I tried everything throughout the day, she wouldn't touch grass or herbs or even her favourite carrot tops.
She finally had some apple slices which I soaked in water as she hadn't drunk anything all day.
This seemed to instantly perk her up a bit and she started eating bits of other things, she wouldn't eat any pellets until later the next evening, but was eating hay.
I put some apple juice in the water the next day to up her fluid intake.

I hope she is feeling better this morning, hugs to you both.x

She still isn't drinking at all. She has eaten another piece of celery this morning and a small bit of brocolli. :roll: She still hasn't passed any droppings or urine. I think I will give her some more sub cut fluids today. I'm really worried though that she isn't eating properly and it obviously isn't enough to get her guts going properly :( . She has never really eaten much hay, so although I have put it out for her I doubt she will eat it. She is lapping up all the attention though, she is normally outside, but I brought her indoors last night. She is now fast asleep on my bed.

:thumb: I have come home to a few droppings :D Although they are little and shriveled up,but thats better than nothing. She has eaten some dandelions and a little bit of brocolli :D I think we might be on the way up.

Sorry just read this thread. Sorry your porr bunny is under the weather, but sounds fantastic news that she's eating again, even if it is a small amount. keep up the good work and keep us posted. xxx

Back