• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Large Abscess

Teddybun

New Kit
Found a large hard abscess on my French lop's tum/chest on Sunday, we made an appointment for him to see the vet today and he has said that it is not too serious and given him a course of antibiotics. We are going back on Friday to have a check up.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything like this and what could have caused it? Apparently he may have to have an operation if the abscess doesn't go away using the antibiotics.

One of my past buns had an abcess in an awkward spot, kind of chest/armpit area. The vet drained it, she was given antibiotics and it cleared up fine; the hard bit was going to be getting that area to heal well, as there was a lot of movement, but it turned out fine. Not sure what caused it even now, possibly skipping around in bushes in my garden and got a scrape I think - it was too easily hidden under dewlap, leg and fur!
Hope your bun gets sorted soon. :)

Jo

Teddybun said:
Found a large hard abscess on my French lop's tum/chest on Sunday, we made an appointment for him to see the vet today and he has said that it is not too serious and given him a course of antibiotics. We are going back on Friday to have a check up.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything like this and what could have caused it? Apparently he may have to have an operation if the abscess doesn't go away using the antibiotics.

Abscesses need to be drained, unfortunatly they dont just go away with antibiotics. If the Abscess is near the surface of the skin your vet should be able to do this WITHOUT anaesthetic. There are no nerves between the abscess and skin layer so your vet should be able to use a sterile scalpal blade and slice into it to extract the puss. This will need to be cleaned and flushed daily (something you will be able to do at home) as well as given antibiotics. Did the vet stick a needle in the lump to see if there was puss there?

Cheryl

Nope, didn't poke it with anything, apparently he said that it looked like it had burst as it was more of a bruised colour instead of yellow (what you can see through all the fur). Do you think he will want to drain it etc on Friday when i go back or should i mention that it was suggested that it be drained?

Teddybun said:
Nope, didn't poke it with anything, apparently he said that it looked like it had burst as it was more of a bruised colour instead of yellow (what you can see through all the fur). Do you think he will want to drain it etc on Friday when i go back or should i mention that it was suggested that it be drained?

How on earth did he know it was an abcess if he didnt even stick a needle in it :? . When you take him back wait to see what he says first, if he wants to drain it then let him (but ask him to do it without anaesthetic), if he doesnt then you will have to ask him to. Unfortunatly vets dont usually like being told what someone else has recommended is best. Is there someone else at the practice you can see instead?

Cheryl

ABBCESSES CAN BE CAUSED BY WOUNDS OR PASIRELLA, IF THIS ONE HAS ALREADY BURST THEN HE WILL BE PUT ON TO BATRIL ,BUT MAY COME BACK LATER IF IT HAS SPREAD. THEY ARE BEST CUT OUT AS A WHOLE AS THERE IS LESS CHANCE THAT IT WILL SPREAD. THEY ARE VERY TRICKY THINGS AND IF THEY ARE SITED NEXT TO BONE THEY CAN GET INT IT AND CAN ALSO TRAVEL THROUGH THE BLOOD. HOPEFULLY IT HASENT AND THE BATRIL WILL CLEAR UP ANY REMAINING INFECTION. VAL

Back