• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help!

mollyhop

New Kit
hey guys I need help i'v just been to the garden and at the back i saw something wriggling it was quite small wild rabbit lay on its side. He has really red puffy eyes and is panting and can't seem to move. I don't know what to do, I haved moved my other rabbits away from the garden as it may be infectious. Shall i call the vets? how do i make him comfortable? I feel so bad for him :(
xx

If you can, take him to the vets to be put to sleep, it sounds like he has got myxy. Obviously watch it doesn't get anywhere near your buns!

yep sounds like mixi and would also say its best for it to be pts it wont survive especilly cause it is very stressed out and wild rabbit cant cope very well with humans, and i wouldnt go near ur other buns untill u have washed every thing down as it is highly contagious
becky

iv just had another look at him and i think hes broke his back because the spine is twisted :( , i rang the vets and there isn't that much they can do as hes a wild bunny :( i think I will have to take him to be put to sleep as the vet suggested, hes so tiny :( how can I make him comfortable?
xx

Oh Im so sorry, unfortunatly there isn;t anything you can do for him except pts. Poor lil bun :( are your buns vaccinated?

yea they are, im about to take him to the vets now hes shaking :( but his back is in a very awkward poisition I don't know if he will make it to the vets to be honest :(

Are your rabbits vaccinated against myxi? If not I suggest you get that done asap. The eyes sound very suspicious and if you have wild buns in your garden that puts the risk of it being trasnfered to yours much higher.

Well done for taking the bun to the vet. Sometimes the only and kindess thing you can do is just to help the go quickly.

Tam

yes they have all had the injection, the vet said he had severe conjuctivitis and he had broke his back perhaps due to a fall. They confirmed it wasnt myxomatosis (thank god) but said the symptoms are similar with the red eyes ect. They put him to sleep as he couldnt move and was making awful noises as though he was in real pain. Its such a shame the vet said he was a really young bunny bless him :(
Just made me think how sometimes we forget about the little buns in the wild :cry:

thanks for everyones advice xxx

well done for putting him out of his pain. SO sad tho.... i see lots of wild rabbits on my route to and from work. I cant help looking out for them nibbling at the grass.. i just always pray none will run out in front of my car tho cos i just know id end up missing the rabbit and hurting myself in the process

poor little wild rabbit at least u stopped him from suffering and for ur own rabbits benefit glad it wasnt myxi

lisa

AWW poor little thing, well done for taking him/her to the vets and putting it out of its misery, sounds like it was in awful pain poor little mite. Binky free little bunny. xxx

Mollyhop I am so sorry you have been through this difficult situation today, and think you deserve a golden halo for helping the baby bunny on her way.
Bless you for caring and not leaving the bunny to suffer :wink:
Lots of hugs and we are thinking of you.

:cry: :cry: :cry: Oh poor baby - so glad that you had the love and the courage to help him.
Run free in the eternal sunshine little one :cry: :cry: :cry:

How sad, but you did the kindest thing for him. Glad for you and your buns that it wasn't myxi, hug them tight tonight!

Jo

Back