• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at home leaflet!!

I've got a copy lurking around somewhere. We've been a few times, picked it up out of curiosity.

Argh jeez people that dumb shouldn't be trusted with animals.

Yeh, i do keep my bunny on his own, but i no its not right, and he will definately get a girly some time soon. Just dont want u thinkin, practice what u preach sorta thing :D

Well we know that every rabbit is different and can make a decision about what is best for them. Squidgy lives on his own (well, with us, but no bunny pal) and we've had many debates about getting him a girlfriend, but decided that he's happy as he is.
Recommending that all adults live alone is an entirely different matter, and they're giving out wrong information.

I don't think it's wrong to keep a bunny on their own just so long they get lots of human love and attention. But the leaflet should say they are also just as happy with rabbit company as well. Telling people they should have two rabbits could mean more accidental births as I'm sure that Pets at home don't mention neutering them :?: :?
Also can they even sex their animals properly to assure people they are not getting male/female pair?

From what I have heard about some stores and seen at a certain store it is pretty dismal.

Sophie is kept on her own and I don't think she would be very happy if there was another bun introduced to her. She loves spending time with us and as long we are with her and she has us for company she is happy! She is definitly a content bunny with all the love in the world and attention given to her!

I agree that it depends on the bunny too, and Sophie is definitly a happy bunny!!!! :D

well we always thought dusty was really happy on his own.. till we got Phoebe!! I've never seen him happier! But i guess it depends on the bun.

Dont get me wrong, i know that buns can be so happy on their own, but i dont think a pet store should be advising you on keeping one on their own, as they dont know whether it will fight with another or not, i think i made it sound lyk i didnt believe in keeping a bunny on their own, sorry!! :?

I don't think people think that, they're just highlighting that you can't bung every bunny into the same category, and more information should be given on the leaflet to this effect.

beckiboo186 said:
Dont get me wrong, i know that buns can be so happy on their own, but i dont think a pet store should be advising you on keeping one on their own, as they dont know whether it will fight with another or not, i think i made it sound lyk i didnt believe in keeping a bunny on their own, sorry!! :?

Don't worry! I know what you meant! When put in black and white that buns should be kept on their own when they are adults, a lot of new bunny owners would not know that buns can be happy as a pair or with living with more buns!

Hiya. As i think i said, i sent an email to pets at home about the leaflet, and got a surprisingly nice email bck, Here it is:

Good Afternoon,

Further to your email regarding our Rabbit Care Sheets, we are currently undergoing a major review of all our small animal care sheets (including rabbit) and we are in currently in consultation with various animal welfare charities regarding the advice we put into them. I don’t currently have an exact time of when the new/revised sheets will reach stores but we are aiming for later this summer. I will forward your comments and concerns to the livestock department to take into consideration when producing the caresheet.

Regards,

*dunno if i can write name on here*

Retail Department

Pets at Home

Oh well that's good to know.
Hopefully they'll get it right eventually.

Totally ditto Katie :)
It's so sweet to see rabbits coupled up and happy. Our two are devoted to each other. Guess you can't beat companionship of your own kind.

The reason they probably suggest they should live on their own is because they do not know how to sex them :? , so it's eaiser to sell one then have someone come back a couple of months later complaining they have a litter of bunnies :oops:

We have just had two brother guinea pigs that came from P@H the owner brought them in because they had started to fight and they could no longer cope :( . The reason they were fighting in because one was heavly pregnant and two weeks later gave birth to a massive litter of 5.

That how wonderful P@H are at sexing animals :evil:

I am not convinced on their ability to sex animals either.

There is a branch of the same store in south London who were selling girl rabbits who if you looked closely had testicles, people had been told that the rabbit was a girl as it had nipples. The young lad admitted to the people that he had been selling all the rabbits who had nipples as girls for almost 18 months! He hadn't considered that all rabbits have nipples.

Animal Rescue and Care have just assisted a man who had obtained 2 'girl' guineas from a West London branch of the same store. One of the guineas had a litter which they assumed must have been pregnant when they got them. After rehoming the babies they then had another set of babies, the owner got the pig which had been wrongly sexed neutered. He then was told by the same store that it was impossible to sex guinea pigs until they are 8 weeks old consequently by the time they were sexed most of the guinea pigs including the babies were pregnant again, unfortuntely some were sexed wrongly and we were called in to help when the last litter was 3 weeks old. The poor couple by this time had over 40 pigs ... we are having to go back in approximately 8 weeks time and sex all the next set of new arrivals for them and take away any more that they don't want!

Whilst I do agree that they are generally happier in pairs or groups, I would have to admit that I would feel a little concerned for the impending population explosion which could occur as a result.

Janice

I must admit I do feel sorry for some of the staff at the P@H stores near us as a few people in our branch will go and check on the state of the animals and will complain to the staff if we feel that somethings wrong.

Unfortunately I just happend to go in there when I saw two rabbits mounting one another and although natrual for two of the same sex rabbits to do this, I was a little un easy as they were so young :? .

I grab the nearest member of staff to hand and ask them to double check the sexes of the rabbits, this was a young girl who's face went blank and said she didn't know how to but they were in the female run so they should be girls. I asked her to find someone who was in charge of the animals. A young lad apeared asked me the problem and I asked him to prove to me that these were two girls. I was shocked to start with as he didn't know how to hold a rabbit properly and it was terrified and then while still on all four feet he lifted the tail slightly and said it was a girl :roll: . I was amazed that he could tel like that and asked if I could check, it was a male :evil: . In the female run there were 3 bucks and 4 does and in the male run there were 4 bucks and a doe.

As you can imagine I had a bit to say and this poor lad was getting redder :oops: and looking like he was going to burst into tears. He told me he had not been shown how to sex rabbits and this was left to the manager to do (he was unavailable to talk to).

You have to blame this down to the management of the stores. Not enough training and complete lack of interest for the animals. I've raised this issue with our branch and the local store to see if they would be intrested in the staff coming to our small centre and being trained to handle and sex rabbits and P@H never replyed :x .

What do we do next??????

Back