• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dull fur

Hazel

New Kit
Hi, I am wondering if anyone can tell me why one of my rabbits sometimes has a very dull coat and his fur falls out in large clumps.
Both my rabbits are the same age, they are brothers.
This only happens on the one rabbit and only once every so often, he is like it for a few days and then goes back to a normal shiny coat.
If he was moulting I would have expected both to be the same. :?:

hmmm dont know im afraid. Only thing i could think of is moulting.. Rabbits wont necessary moult the same time as their brother tho so it still could be.

Thanks Chris, I had thought moulting as well but his brother has never had anything like this happen before.
He looks so bad that every time it happens I think I am going to lose him but after about 3 days he comes back to normal. Its so strange.

THEY CAN MOULT AT DIFFERENT TIMES BUT JUST TO BE SURE GET HIM CHECKED FOR MITES, IT SHOULD HAVE CONTINUED ON WITH THE MOULT . SOMETIMES WHEN THERE UNDER THE WEATHER IT CAN CAUSE A VERY BAD MOULD I THINK ITS WORTH GETTING HIM CHECKED. VAL

Sounds like moulting but like Val said if it lasts for more than a few days get them checked out for mites.

Although having said that one of mine has been moulting for a month and is only just coming to the end of it. Strangely she was losing masses of tufts of fur but only from her bottom half!

Back