• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Garden Fenced Pens/Enclosures

Cristian

Young Bun
Firstly, I'm sure this has cropped up before, but can't find it on the forum threads.

I'm thinking of setting up an enclosure/pen for our three rabbits to play in our back garden. The small wire mesh that I normally use for runs/hutches is going to be too expensive for the enclosure.

Has anyone built one of these, is so, what fencing/wire have you used. (Any posted picture would be helpful too).

Cristian

We have large outdoor enclosures, they have a double line of fencing, Large chicken wire on the outside and small cage mesh on the inside i bought it by the roll from my local builders yard for 60 quid for 60 metres!

I used chicken wire also, 13mm stuff so it has small holes, its quite cheap £3.99 for .6m x 5 m or £4.99 for .9m x 5m. Our local hardware store sells the Blackspur stuff, its galvanised and far cheaper than B&Q, but bit of a pain to cut though.

I have another run made from two extendable fireguards joined together cost about £35 for both from Argos, great to sit inside with buns

cheers

My outdoor rabbits are in big hutches placed in large enclosures. I had gates put in recently and redid all the fences. I used stiff small gauge wire at the top, and small gauge chicken wire at the bottom so I could fold it over so that it covered the ground first to make sure that there were no gaps as my garden is far from level, and secondly to hinder their attempts to dig. I secured the wire on the ground using tent pegs. I used really small gauge to prevent their biting the noses of the adjoining rabbits, but if you don't have that problem you would just need to make it so that they can't get out, ordinary chicken wire might be fine. I made the height six feet around the outside of the garden, and 4 feet for inside fences, any lower and they will jump over them. Using wire for the gates too helps keep cats out as they can't balance on it. I used six foot fences for the tiny rabbits as a precauton though. The bigger rabbits intimidate cats :lol:

I am going to take pics soon and update my webpage.

Thanks for the suggestions and links.

>Louise, had a look at your site and must say that Isadora is the dead spit of our Coco - very uncanny! She has just been spayed and is now getting her appetite back!

Cristian

Back