• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD and limping...

Joob-joobs

Mama Doe
Skye went for her VHD jab yesterday, now she is limping.

I've had a look through old posts and I know that it is a side effect of jab. Some people mentioned giving Metacam for pain relief. The vet is closed and I was just wondering if there is anything else I can give her. Or is cage rest enough?

She is eating, pooing and drinking, she's just a bit quiet and can't use her front right leg properly.

Sorry to hear this :( Poor little one - it is a bit painful for them and that is why they get a limp :(
You could ask your vet tomorrow for a bit of metacam but he/she may not give it - to be honest, most vets aren't even aware that the VHD injection can cause a limp :roll:
It should be gone in three days at the most - she should be back to normal then. Is she eating well? I would let her have exercise as the leg could stiffen up even more - just gentle exercise which I suppose she would do herself as it is feeling sore.
Give her a cuddle from me - xxxx

Yeah, she is eating well (she's a bit of a greedy bunny and her chops are always going!) I've let her out in the living room but she finds a quiet corner and snuggles in there.

It's a wee shame, she was trying to wash her sore paw, she couldn't get her paw up to her mouth but she must not have realised that it wasn't going up far enough and her wee tongue was coming out anyway, she was cleaning thin air.

I'm spoiling her with her favourite food, hope she gets better soon....

Oh poor Skye, give her a hug from me.
Blueberry got a limp after her vhd jab, It didn't last long so hopefully skye will be ok soon.

awww poor skye I hope her limp is better today. Its kind of weird this limp thing I wonder why some bunnies limp afterwards and some don't. All five of mine had the VHD jabs just over a week ago and none of them got the limp.

Awww, glad to hear that she is feeling better today! Bless her

By the way Joob Joobs, love the new avatar, very cute!!!!

loopylop said:
Awww, glad to hear that she is feeling better today! Bless her

By the way Joob Joobs, love the new avatar, very cute!!!!

Thanks, was planning on using that pic as a sig with a twitching nose but kinda given up on that idea at the moment! :roll:

Awww Julie - glad your little bundle of trouble is o.k - Zac had this and I did one of the posts on this during last year when I actually thought he'd jumped off something and hurt himself - it wasn't until I mentioned on here about him having his VHD jab some 24 hours before that the limp was put together.

My Vet is pretty Savy but even so had never heard about this particular side effect but I guess its easy for it to go un-noticed unless you know your bunny inside out so many instances don't get reported - I'm sure my Vet didn't really think it was even a possible side effect - just a bunny mum worrying too much :roll:

As the good folks on here have already mentioned - at least it cleared up within 48 hours and he was fine again.

bunnytales said:
Awww Julie - glad your little bundle of trouble is o.k - Zac had this and I did one of the posts on this during last year when I actually thought he'd jumped off something and hurt himself - it wasn't until I mentioned on here about him having his VHD jab some 24 hours before that the limp was put together.

My Vet is pretty Savy but even so had never heard about this particular side effect but I guess its easy for it to go un-noticed unless you know your bunny inside out so many instances don't get reported - I'm sure my Vet didn't really think it was even a possible side effect - just a bunny mum worrying too much :roll:

As the good folks on here have already mentioned - at least it cleared up within 48 hours and he was fine again.

I saw your post and added a bit about Skye onto the bottom but I think it got lost in the other posts so I decided to start a new one. Hearing about your experience really helped because even though I knew that it was a side effect it still looked like she had twisted it or hurt it on something, she was hardly putting any weight on it at all. I'm so glad she's back to her clumsy, heavy footed self!! :wink:

Hiya Julie Gal

Just really glad your bunster is o.k - I was really worried about Zac as I didn't know what the problem was until folks on here mentioned the reaction thing - I'll certainly be watching out when his next VHD vaccine is due - not a doubt that I'll be making sure he has it but at least I'll know what to look for afterwards.

Sending a snuggle to your bunster :wink:

Back