• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hugs is sneezing

he has been doing it since yesterday. I was putting the washing out and nothing, i then gave them some grass to eat and since then he has been sneezing on and off, he sounds like a toy losing it squeak. Picked him up today and there is no discharge, eyes are bright and he is eating and pooing as normal. Have looked through the other topics on sneezing and am thinking he may have something irritating up his nose, his nose does look a little bit red :?
Mark is ringing the vets tomorrow to see if we should take him in, it started so suddenly and only since he ate the grass which he has done millions of times before.
Very worried about our little man :(

This happened to Minnie-Moo a few weeks back - she had been fine and chomping on the grass. Then she started sneezing a bit later on. After a couple of days she started to produce white snot :( We took her to see Sally the vet and she was put on a course of Baytril - no change really. After a couple of weeks I was down on the floor giving her strokes when she started a sneezing fit - all of a sudden I could see a tiny bit of something sticking out of her nose :shock: I grabbed the tweezers and managed to get it - it was a piece of grass about 2 inches long :shock: :shock: It was covered in mucous and that is what had been causing her sneezing all along - thank goodness that she is fine now :D
If Hugs is still sneezing then a vet could look up his nose to see if anything is there - sometimes it's really hard to see as it goes so far up. Hopefully he will be fine in a day or two - it could be pollen is irritating him :?

Could be an irritation but If he goes downhill a bit and starts wheezing too get him to the vet asap.

Our bunny started having sneezing fits a month or so ago. She would sneeze repeatedly for several minutes then make a strange stranging sound at the end and flop out.

We took her to the vet who said it was probably hayfever as the discharge coming from her nose was clear. So we now give her some Piriton liquid (available in chemists as it is for babies). That has been helping.

Just something for you to think about. Good luck!
Cathy

Has bunny been eating something they shouldn't of been?

My Treacle had a sneezing fit this afternoon, just as I caught him munching on my roses. I suppose it serves him right, he looked so cute when he was in the middle of it.

Most of mine sneeze when they have had their little noses in something they shouldn't have.

i thought that hamish was the only bun with hayfeaver. i always thought what bad luck for a rabbit to be allergic to grass. Lucky Molly who loved him loads was always on had to keep his does clean. Yuk

I couldn't believe it when the vet said our rabbit had hayfever! It seems incredible since they are made to eat grass. But I guess their bodies can develop allergies just like us. I ride a horse that gets asthma every summer from the farmers cutting their grass and she has to go on steriods. So animals can suffer the same as we do!!

Cathy

Back