• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hard Fluff around the eye

Sarah_Jane

Alpha Buck
Hello,

I have recently got my rabbit Charlie and i noticed that he's got abit of hard fluff around one of his eyes...so i was wondering what you lot suggested i did about it? Is it a common thing to happen?

Many Thanks

Sarah-Jane....and little Charlie! :)

Sarah_Jane said:
Hello,

I have recently got my rabbit Charlie and i noticed that he's got abit of hard fluff around one of his eyes...so i was wondering what you lot suggested i did about it? Is it a common thing to happen?

Many Thanks

Sarah-Jane....and little Charlie! :)

Im sure someone will be along soon to offer advice, as Im no "eye expert"!! But by hard fluff, do you mean as though the eyes have been weeping and the fur has gone hard??

Cotton wool can break apart so I tended to use kitchen towel soaked in salt water to clean Zeus' eyes. Have you seen my tooth article in the Rabbit Refs section? There is a pick of Zeus' good eye and his weepy eye and an explanation of his tooth problem.

If it doesn't clear up after a few days of bathing you may need to take your bunny to a vet as it could be the sign of an underlying problem.

Caz

Thanks for that. Yes i had a look at your toothb article thanks, but Charlie's eyes arn't as bad as Zenus'. I think its just where abit of sleep dust has dried in the hair and made it go hard.

This morning i used a towel and out alittle warm water on it and tried to get the hard lump to go soft, but it didnt really work, so i used a comb afterwards and that didn't help.

I'm going to the vets for the first time on Thursday for Charlie's injections (ick) so i might see what they think?

Back