• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blueberry is not well/ looking better this morning:)

beck

Mama Doe
When I fed the buns today, Blueberry --(the hoover who has head in the bowl until empty) only ate afew pellets, and has left the rest.
She was eating hay.
Since then she has laid down, nibbled a tiny bit of carrot tops.
Her tummy doesn't feel hard or gassy.
The kitchen felt really hot this morning which is why I think it's the heat.
I have put the run by the back door in the shade but she just comes back indoors :roll:
She is laying indoors near a breeze through the window and I have put a fan on beside her. I also put a wetted tea towel over her which hasn't bothered her at all and she is still laying there now. She doesn't look hunched up but nor is she flopped up.
I have a bottle of water in the freezer to wrap and put in the cage over night.

What do you think guys?

I don't think it is the heat now,
She just had some hay and did a nice pile of poos, There were bits of blue and orange in some of them :idea: remembered she went upstairs yesterday, just went upstairs and there are crayons on the floor, specifacally blue and orange bits :? She is partial to a bit of crayon :? :(
Her poo's were normal size, she has been eating some hay, although she has left the grass I have just offered her.
I will keep a close eye on her.

Oh my goodness Beck, you must have been really worried there for a while, I am so glad to hear that Blueberry is looking a lot brighter..fancy the little toe rag eating the crayons :!: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Let us know how she is later, give her a cuddle from me
:)

Thanks Adele, though I am still worried about her.
She still isn't eating much and is not herself :?
I shall be up with her till she perks up, I have the emergency vets no. handy just in case.

Still no change.
I put a hot water bottle under her, she lay on it for about 15 mins, then I gave her a tummy massage, It was really gurgly :(
Why do they really start to worry you at 11pm at the start of a bank hol wkend??
I am going to give her another tummy rub and settle her for the night, I'm really tired but I don't think I'll sleep tonight.

Oh dear Beck - what a to-do :( I would keep on checking her throughout the night and if you think she needs a vet then get her there. If there is no change in the morning then she will need a vet. I wonder if she has a little piece of crayon stuck inside her?
Keep on giving the tummy massages and if you have Infacol then give her some of that. Is she eating properly and drinking? How are her droppings and wees?
Am also wondering if it could be the colouring in the crayons that is making her feel off????
Poor Blueberry - sending loads of healing and positive vibes to her - come on sweetie, get better soon - xxxxx

Thanks Jay,
I was about to call the vets after Alan came in and he suggested some apple - which she loves!
So cut up some thin slices and soaked them in water She ate several pieces :D :D This was about hr ago and since then she has had a little bit of satsuma then she tried a tiny bit of rosemary and parsley, all soaked in water.
she has now attempted to eat a little bit of hay without coaxing.

She is prefering to lay in the dog basket with no bedding she has dug out any newspaper and pro fleece.

Hopefully I can settle her to bed soon and see how she is in the morning.

I am feeling really guilty about the crayons.

On the plus side crayons are usually aimed at kids so as things go hopefully non-toxic.

You could try dipping her pellets in water and hand feeding (apparentelly it makes them taste better :roll: ) If she likes apples you could try putting a splash on apple juice in the water and dipping in that or other things.

Hope she'll tucking away again by morning :)

Tam

Yep your probably right Tam about the crayons been non toxic, I tried the ss softened in water but she wasn't interested.
I've just put her back in the cage and she has done a wee!! She is doing some poops they are a bit smaller than usual (but still larger than Brians :wink:) but not hard.
she had a little more apple, I guess she needs a rest from been proded and poked :roll: so I think I will sleep easier now I know something is going in and coming out!
Fingers crossed she is over the worst.
I have not experianced this before, it is sooo frightening seeing her so poorly. I will be stocking up on infacol, apple juice and pineapple.
I'm going to have to set my alarm clock I think :roll: :roll:

Thanks guys, Blueberry seems a lot better this morning.

When I went down she was laying next to Brian (not in the dog basket on her own where she spent most of her time yesterday), and when I opened the cage she was actively seeking out a bit of apple that was out from the night before. I chopped her some fresh. which she ate! I could hear her tummy gurgling when she ate the first few pieces :?
She has done a small amount of poops, they smaller than usual.
She then went on to eat a celery leaf which she wouldn't last night and then a chopped up a stick of cerery.
It is such a relief to see her want to eat. She still refused the moistened pellet but I'd rather see her tucking into her hay.
She just did a massive binky :D and is moving around :D :D

Question, Is it ok to keep giving her apple today?
I don't want to over do the fruit as she doesn't have it very often, but it really was the turning point when she had some. -Thankyou o/h who pretends he doesn't care! I can't believe I didn't think of it myself earlier :oops:
I'm going to go and pick some grass and herbs to tempt her with now.

My respect for those of you that go through this with your bunnys regularly has doubled!!!

that's great news that she's feeling a bit better and binkying!

(not sure about the apple, I'd probably be tempted to give some more if she loves it and isn't really eating anything else.)

AWWW sorry just read this thread, sorry Blueberry is under the weather, but sounds really good she had a binky today. xxx

Hope Blueberry's on the mend now; I wouldn't worry too much about the apple - if it's keeping her eating that's the main thing, and try other things that she's used to having to get a bit of variety in when she perks up a bit.

Jo

Blueberry is back to her normal self now! It was very scary though and I don't want either of them going through that again :(
Brian wasn't much help for his poorly wifey :roll: he wouldn't stop licking my arm when I was giving her tummy rubs! Then when she did start trying bits of food again he'd come and nick it out her mouth :shock: :lol: getting his own back when the girls not well :no: :lol:

Back