• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

watery poo :( -- Not anymore :D

jennee

Young Bun
My poor Bonnie.. :cry: :( just 2 nights ago she was fine and perky. Then yesterday morning I wake up to see watery poo everywhere and surprisingly calm. So I go to a pet supply store and they had some medication to help with diarrhea. I'm supposed to feed her directly in her mouth 4 times a day 50-100 drops. I looked up past posts on diarrhea and I'm soooo worried! :cry: I never saw her so inactive ever! Poor thing.. I had an injector from the pharmacy so I fed her with that but it is so hard as to her kicking and squirming was so fierce for such a tiny thing and I didn't want to crush her. But today, her squirming was much less and this morning her poo was less watery. So I decided to give her regular filtered water rather than her water with the medicine mixed in in which she barely took to drinking at all.. and her poo became watery again. Tomorrow I have school in the morning.. I'm hoping and praying she will be alright till tomorrow afternoon so I can manage to find her a rabbit knowledgable vet.

Also, sort of off topic, I got her a friend today maybe thinking that might cheer her up (a mini-lop like I was waiting for) and she was sniffing her out and seemed herself for a while and then they both sat there with their backs to each other. (Now they're snuggled up together so *whew* on that) Diarrhea isn't contagious is it? To other bunnies? (I'm sorry! Just trying to be safe :( ) I sorttt of have an assumtion to Bonnie's diarrhea: 2 nights ago, before she woke up with diarrhea, she was licking my sister's friend, my sister, and me, alll on our arms everywhere like she was bathing us.. maybe our body germs? And stupid me, I was just so happy thinking she was "grooming" me back..

hi you should really move this to the rabbit care section so people can see it and it dont get over looked beccause it is the wrong section!

hope your buns feels better soon

I am so sorry to hear about Bonnie, we really hope she is feeling a lot better now?
Amy rabbit with diarrhea needs to get to a Vet urgently as they dehydrate rapidly and require fluids to be given under the skin or via a drip.
It could be a bacterial infection which requires prompt treatment with antibiotics , or just something the bunny ate....either way, a vet needs to see the bunny to make an assessment and give fluids as a priority, especially if you are having difficulty getting fluids into the bunny yourself.
ASAP powder (buy from Bunnymail www.bunnymail.co.uk )is good to help bind the loose droppings till you see a Vet, and Probiotics to help calm the digestive system down, we always have some on hand in the rabbit first aid kit.

Please let us know how Bonnie is, we are thinking of you.
Best wishes

Thanks for your concern :)
It was sooo hard finding a vet who would take care of rabbits, if they do have a rabbit dr, they're not there or closing in 15 minutes.. at 12pm :shock: they must make alot of money :lol: My boyfriend and I were thinking to become a rabbit savy vet for all those poor bunnies out there after today :lol: :lol:
Well, to the point, I took Bonnie to the vet today :) and the doctor gave her a shot with a huge needle to help her dehydrated body but he had to poke her twice because of her kicking :( . He said Bonnie had coccidia(?) but everything else was fine. He also gave me 2 medications, both I have to force feed her one's pink: 0.3 ml and the other clear 1ml twice a day for 10 days. I also have to force feed her water but if she doesn't take water he says to try Pedialyte first. Also, if she doesn't eat, he says to grind up hay and pellets and force feed those too. I'm gonna be a busy busy mommy this week! But anything is worth it to get my Bonnie back to her old feisty perky self no? :wink:

Bonnie's a funny one. She'll only drink water if I cup a few drops in my palm :wink: Well, at least I found an easy way for one of the things I had to force feed her!

I'm feeding her pellets and hay.. though she doesn't take much, if any at all :? The vet told me it was probably something she ate so my other guess besides licking a whole bunch of people is that she probably ate something that fell from the dining table. OR... do you possibly think that chlorella tablets could do harm? she took a tiny nip out of that before I took it away. :?

Erm i dont think they would be good for a rabbit, hav u told ur vet she took that? she will b able to tell u for sure

Coccidiosis is a parastic infection and is caught through ingestion of the dormant form of the parasite (cysts). These can be present on the grass or in the water in your local area and coccidiosis is a common disease in young rabbits (although ususally those kept in rabbit farm conditions where there are lots of rabbits in a very small space) especially those weaned too early.

It is unlikely you had the cysts on your arms but if you had been laying on the grass it is possible. Farm animals such as sheep can carry coccidia and some species of the parastite can infect humans so make sure you wash your hands after handling her. Use fresh water from a chlorinated source and avoid grass unless washed thoroughly in chlorinated water for the moment.

It is possible for the other rabbit to catch it but if the rabbit appears healthy then don't seperate them as often the comfort of their bonded partners encourages them to pull through, just keep an eye on the other rabbit to check it doesn't show symptoms. Usually it is the ones with weakened immune systems that are susceptible to infection such as the very young, very old and ones with immune diseases so one may stay healthy when another becomes ill.

Here are some references to read:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171112.htm (v. sciency)

http://www.cvm.okstate.edu/instruction/kocan/vpar5333/5333iii.htm (bit easier to read).

Caz

Thanks for the links Caz~ It's weird though. I took Bonnie to the park about a week or two BEFORE she got diarrhea. Can the diarrhea show that late? If not, it's definately from *something* she ate under the dining table :?
I'm glad to say that she's doing much better now, her poop isn't runny anymore *hooray* (Still gotta keep up with the medications though)

It may be possible that was the source as there will be the incubation time for the cysts to hatch, once eaten, then for the parasites to multiply to a level that produces obvious symptoms, which could be around that time frame. I would avoid taking her there again or picking grass from there just in case.

Definately continue with the course of meds as you need to try and clear the infection to a level the rabbit's immune system can then cope with mopping up.

When humans get coccidiosis those with immune problems such as HIV positive people or those on cancer treatment can have reoccurring diarrohea for the rest of their lives :shock: as their immune system can't cope with the mopping up the remaining parasites that the treatments don't kill.

Caz

Back