• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just Spayed

D

Damo122

Hi all,

I had to take Sandy into the Vets for an early spay as the peeing was just becoming to much to handle.

I brought her home yesterday and she seems ok but I just thought I'd check whether there is anything I should be doing for her.

At the moment I have put a towel in the cage for her but she seems to prefer sitting on the metal tray. She is drinking a lot and has just started eating a small amount of hay today.

The thing I would really appreciate advice on in what to do with her partner Malcolm i.e should i seperate them?

The home advised me that I should keep Sandy in her cage for up to a week. Initially I left Malcolm with her, but I had to go out for a few hours last night and when i came back I found Sandy had jumped up into the hay rack and was looking very shocked.

I can only presume that Malcolm must have been trying to mount her and she jumped in to get away from him.

I was really worried she may have ripped her stitches and I took Malcolm out straight away and put him in an adjacent puppy pen for the night. This morning he was banging on the cage door trying to get in. Sandy looked very miserable so i thought it might cheer her up to have some company, and so I let Malcolm in. So far there has been no sign of trouble but I'm worried that he might try it on again.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks

Damien

It is very good sign that she is eating well already.
Yes you do need to separate her from her boyfriend for a while. If he mounts her too soon it could cause damage to her insides. Not sure how but i have read this. Maybe you can keep them separated but have cages side by side so they know the other one is there. Im not sure exactly how long they need to be separated for tho. my vet said after 3 days that Nala was healing well and to put them back to gether if that is what htey are used to but i would guess they are all different. Ask your vet/nurse when u go for her post op check

Back