• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cabbage can kill?

Sooty

Mama Doe
Swooky says cabbage can kill buns.
"Cabbage is poisonous for bunnies! It can kill them! =X Same with iceberg lettuce. "
I feed Sooty a couple of leaves a day. Can anyone advise?

I feed my bunnies cabbage they haven't died yet. :D

Honestly look at the size of the leaf Scooby is munching through on my signiture, as long as your not over feeding them cabbage, you've nothing to worry about.

Cabbage is not poisonous to bunnies, certain types of lettuce are bad for bunnies, Romanian lettuce is okay to feed bunnies.
Cabbage can upset some bunnies delicate digestive systems (and we personally choose not to feed cabbage to bunnies) and can potentially lead to the deadly bloat (gut statis )of the guts :(
Cabbage is not a poison to bunnies, it is the effect of the gases produced from cabbage whilst in the gut that CAN potentially lead to ill health.
Cabbage should be fed in small amounts only and if your bunny gets upset tummy or smells ( :shock: ) then the cabbage is upsetting things internally and it is best to stop feeding it.
Young bunnies should not have cabbage, as they are even more prone to digestive upsets that adult bunnies
Hope this helps?
Best wishes

Iceberg lettuce is bad for them they can eat the darker varieties like romaine but I tend to only give them a bit of the stalk if I am having some I don't use lettuce as a staple.

Cabbage is high in calcium so is bad for bunnies with calcium problems but I have never known it to kill. Mine get cabbage all the time (green, white and red) and they love it. Brendan has even given them whole to the pairs before (when I said to give them cabbage I should have been more specific on portion size) and they had half a cabbage each devoured in one night with no ill effects!

That is the first mention I have heard of it being dangerous - did they have any evidence to back this up or a reason for stating this?

Edit: Oops fast fingers Adele! Mine sometimes stink after eating it (urine and poo reeks). I have cut back as they can get a bit windy and with Zeus on pencillin I have to be careful of his guts but even with Zeus and his delicate digestion I have had no problems with cabbage to suggest it can kill if the bunny is used to eating it.

Caz

:shock: No Adele that just worries me :shock:

I would hate to give my bunnies bloat but they have always eaten spring greens which is a type of cabbage yes?

They have had no problems at all and they eat it everyday and quite a lot of it, now Im going to worry

I have never given cabbage to my buns since losing Hobo - he had cabbage leaves the day before his bloat started. He had had it before without problem but not regularly and this is the only thing that I can think of that may have triggered his bloat - therefore, I have never given it again - maybe I am being over cautious but I can't bring myself to give it to them.

Oh nooooooo Towsbuns you have all got me worried now my bunnies love the spring greens what would I replace it with if I stopped giving it them, anyone with any suggestions?

Sooty said:
What greens can they eat then with no concerns? Anything they can get unlimited amounts if?
curly kale and they love it, as well as Cauliflower leaves, i even feed this to the baby rabbits, well at about 6 weeks old i introduce it a little bit
becky

now im sure I read on here that to much kale was bad for them, I give them this once or twice a week and cauliflower leaves are much the same as cabbage arent they??

I think the answr might turn out to be anything in large quantities is bad for them :) Feeding a little bit or cabbage, a little bit of kale etc. isn't likely to cause trouble (unless you know your bun is sensitive to greens). Just don't suddenly give large amounts when they're not used to it.

Tam

sooty mine buns all love spring greens and have a leaf in the morning and again at teatime they never have proble,s with soft poo or anything like that. Its a mine feild out there :shock:

Back