• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

changing pellets

suzy_d

Alpha Buck
hey guys just wondering if anyone can help me...

I want to change my bunnys pellets from science to supa rabbit pellets, only because my vet has strongly recommended it and i am shortly getting a new bunny who is already on the supa pellets. I know you have to go through a slow process from changing a rabbits food to new ones in the case of changing comercial food to pellets bu t i was wondering if it applied to changing to a different type of pellet and the process for doing so?!?

Thanks!

Hiya

Changing pellets to pellets is exactly the same process - just think of it as still changing food so the same care needs to be taken to protect the digestive tract. I usually change mine over about 8 - 10 days, gradually mixing the two foods together until the bun is completely on the new one. I tend to do it 5-10g change per day/2 days depending on how the poops are looking.

Nicola

Hi Nicola,

Just out of interest why are you changing pellets? I am going to be changing mine from Excel to Science Selective soon, but you appear to be changing yours the other way round!

Hi Lorraine

It was actually Suzy who is changing, I was just giving advice :) I have changed my pellets though in the past few months, from Excel to Allen and Page which my buns are thriving on :) Excel used to give Amy too many caecotrophs and generally didn't agree with her. My other bun Princess though is doing well on Excel, but I will soon be changing her to Allen and Page when this bag runs out so everybody is on the same diet :D Will make my life easier!!

Nicola

Sorry Nicola,

I keep telling everyone my brain is on holiday this week and now I can see that it is true!! :lol: :lol:

If they are on Science select pellets these have a higher fibre content than the normal Excel so there should be no need to change.

It is possible your vet has not heard of them that is why s/he is encouraging the change (or they are sponsored by Burgess ;) ).

Try taking the bag of SS pellets into the vet so s/he can compare it to the Excel, that should reassure her/him.

The Excel lite is the best of the Excel range for all rabbits (not just obese ones) as it has the highest fibre but it is still not available in 10kg bags. I think the SS still has higher fibre than the lite (don't quote me on that one) so if your bunny is doing well on it I would leave them and change the new bunny over instead.

I would use SS if could get it wholesale like the Excel and if they sold the lite in 10kg bags I would use that. But for now mine are stuck on Excel normal (luckily they are ok on it).

Caz

The fibre content of Excel Lite is 18%.

I was going to change mine over to that from Excel but I have now found a petshop in my area who can order 10kg bags of SS for me at £13.50. It was definiately worth ringing around!

That's OK Lorraine :) My brain is frazzled too as I've had exams all week and this hot weather doesn't help!!

I thought A+P were high fibre, it is a very good food!

I'm changing Charlie and Lavender over from excel to SS. I have been having problems finding SS so asked my vet to find it for me, as usual they came up trumps. I took charlie for his Myxi jab today so picked up a couple of bags of SS. It was way more expensive than excel (£4 for a 1.5kg bag, I pay £10 for 10kg of excel), if the buns take to it then the vets can order 10KG bags for me.

Charlie has always had a bit of a sticky bum but I didn't know about SS, I talked to the vet about it today and she asked me to let her know how I get on, as she can then recommend it to other bunny owners. I think excel is marketed much better than SS, and don't they publish a lot of research about how it improves a bunnies health. Maybe we should all tell our vets about SS?

The SS pellets are HUGE compared to the excel!

hey guys
I was just gonna change the pellets cos the vet highly recommended them but as stated it may be that SS hasnt been advertised enough...I may stick to SS then, just if im getting a new bun I need to switch one or the other cos one bun is on excel and the other is on SS...which is best do we think?

Also you cant get bulk bags for SS and its quitehard to get hold of as some pet shops don't sell them...bit of a bummer :D

Thanks guys x

suzy_d said:
Also you cant get bulk bags for SS and its quitehard to get hold of as some pet shops don't sell them...bit of a bummer :D

I called my local pet shop yesterday, they stock small bags of SS but said that they would be happy to order 10kg bags in for me - apparently they don't get enough demand for it to stock it permanently. They're even happy to deliver it. :D Might be worth asking your local pet shop too.

I'm changing from SS to A&P just now, Skye will eat anything but Joey is being fussy and is picking out the SS and leaving the A&P! Fussy wee bisum!

Back