• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

when can i cut there nails??

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
i normally wait until they are 6 months old but heem and hagrids nails are like knifes even though they are on concrete all day, they have ruined two brand new tops this week :( i look like i have had a argument with freddy cruger!

can i nip the tips off they are 13 weeks old!

Eve x

Tamsin said:
You can cut the nail whenever they need doing, no age limit :)

Tam

really tamsin i was told to wait until they were 6 months because they have not grown fully and could cause them problems!

Yep cut them when you want :) Who told you the 6 month thing? Nails grow continuously anyway (which is why they need clipping) so whether they are 3 months or 6 months the nails just keep on growing!!

Just be careful not to cut the quick as cos they are babies, they will remember it far more than any adult - brains like sponges!

Nicola

i dont cut the nails of mine until they r 5 months old, because when u show, the under 5 month old rabbits shouldnt have there nails cut because then they r classed as an adult rabbits
becky

That's really interesting Rexy. Obv that's just a show thing though so all us pet owners are free to clip nails as babies :D

i haven't had to clip my younger buns nails as yet but i would have thought they would be weak since they were still growing from babies to adults?

Well you learn something new everyday!!!

If they need cutting, they need cutting. I suppose it depends on the flooring. I would think it would do more damage to have overly long nail as this changes the way the weight is distributed on the foot. Not good for growing bones.

Interesting snippet on the showing Becky I didn't know that either :)

Tam

Back